• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo Review of Droid Incredible -- Subpar

I agree. It seems like it is a review just for the camera, since that is all they talekd about in any detail at all. Worse "review" yet.

I don't even bother reading the reviews. Let me put it this way, it's easily the best phone that I can get. It's the only one with snapdragon, android, and 512MB of ram that's on verizon, it's a no brainer.

Upvote 0
Gizmodo is pretty much an Apple fanboy site. I mean it's one thing to like something but they completely go overboard for Apple IMO. The posts they had for the iPad was enough for me to never visit that site again. I mean, look at their "review" of the iPhone 4th gen prototype. :rolleyes:

Gizmodo is hands down the worst gadget/tech site of them all IMO.

Upvote 0
Gizmodo is pretty much an Apple fanboy site. I mean it's one thing to like something but they completely go overboard for Apple IMO. The posts they had for the iPad was enough for me to never visit that site again. I mean, look at their "review" of the iPhone 4th gen prototype. :rolleyes:

Gizmodo is hands down the worst gadget/tech site of them all IMO.

Aren't you acting like a Android fanboy right now? They might be biased... they might not be. However, it seems like you are just discounting their opinions because they are not what you want to hear. Honestly, I much rather read a review that includes negatives so I can be well informed when I make my purchase, sight unseen.

Upvote 0
Aren't you acting like a Android fanboy right now? They might be biased... they might not be. However, it seems like you are just discounting their opinions because they are not what you want to hear. Honestly, I much rather read a review that includes negatives so I can be well informed when I make my purchase, sight unseen.

Where/How did I mention Android fanboyism in my post? :)

I discount Gizmodo because they are heavily biased to Apple in general from what *I've* seen personally. That's fine for some people, sure, but it makes it harder for me to take their word into consideration, regardless of what the product is.

Upvote 0
BGR actually seemed to give an unbiased review. I mean of course I'm gonna like a favorable review but Gizmodo and Endgadget especially just seemed to be in somewhat of a hype killing mode. ZDNet seemed to have a decent video. I'm also waiting to see if Phonedog does and extended review.

What I'm finding interesting so far is that not only has it not been compared much to the iPhone outside of pics for reference but the reviews and videos have not ended with "its still not an iPhone". I don't know if this comes later or if at this point its pretty hard to keep putting the iPhone on top for no reason. They did it on Desire videos for some reason.

Upvote 0
Engadget review was ok.

basically what I got from it is this:
1) Camera is good but not great (all cell phone cameras aren't great I knew this) from what i saw though it's way better than what is on my phone (envy 2).
2) The phone is fast - ya i knew that too
3) Speaker is really really good - this i didn't know
4) screen is very bad when out in the sun - i knew this and planned on getting anti-glare screen anyway. ALL screens are awful outside no one should be surprised by this. Even laptop screens suck in the sun. duh.
5) battery is ok but not good - i knew this also.

That was engadgets review in a nutshell to save you 10 minutes of your life.

You consider that good? That was along the same lines as Gizmodo.

Upvote 0
Engadget review:

Let's just put this out there: the Droid Incredible is the best Android device that you can purchase in America right now. It's better than the Droid, better than the Nexus One, and certainly beats the pants off of any previous generation handsets like the Eris, myTouch, or Cliq. It's not just a very, very good Android phone (though it is); it's also an excellent smartphone no matter how you cut it.

Seems like a pretty good review to me. Do they say it's perfect, no. But no phone is.

Upvote 0
4) screen is very bad when out in the sun - i knew this and planned on getting anti-glare screen anyway. ALL screens are awful outside no one should be surprised by this. Even laptop screens suck in the sun. duh.
Not true. LCD screens do much better in the sun. My iPhone is quite usable even in direct sunlight. OLED screens light up and can be overpowered by the sun. This is recognized as the biggest weakness of OLED screens. Samsung's Galaxy S is supposed to have a Super AMOLED screen which is supposed to be much better in sunlight.
Hard to tell for sure without having each to compare in the sunlight.

Upvote 0
From the engadget review:

"Let's just put this out there: the Droid Incredible is the best Android device that you can purchase in America right now."

That's a pretty good review.

Gizmodo I believe said somewhat the same thing as well as BGR. Everyone knows its the best out there now because it's the newest and greatest, saying it however doesn't mean much when part of the review was against it.

Upvote 0
well I've never had a laptop that I could see out in the sun. My current laptop has an LED screen and ya it's worst. But even LCD screens are pretty bad in the sun.

I think your experience was probably LCD screens with anti-glare. Glossy LCD screens - forget it not seeing a thing in the sun.

Not true. LCD screens do much better in the sun. My iPhone is quite usable even in direct sunlight. OLED screens light up and can be overpowered by the sun. This is recognized as the biggest weakness of OLED screens. Samsung's Galaxy S is supposed to have a Super AMOLED screen which is supposed to be much better in sunlight.
Hard to tell for sure without having each to compare in the sunlight.

Upvote 0
Where/How did I mention Android fanboyism in my post? :)

I discount Gizmodo because they are heavily biased to Apple in general from what *I've* seen personally. That's fine for some people, sure, but it makes it harder for me to take their word into consideration, regardless of what the product is.
Hmmmm, seems Gizmodo posted a review of the "lost" iPhone 4 today. On the same day the Incredible starts pre-order and the same day everyone starts releasing the Incredible reviews. Something very fishy here.

Coincidence???? I think NOT!!! :cool:

IMHO, Apple leaked this phone and said, okay report on it the same day the Incredible starts getting press reviews so we can rain on HTC's parade and steal their thunder.

Reactions: tuahogary
Upvote 0
Gizmodo's review was weak because they were too busy lavishing attention on the iPhone 4g Apple gave them instead of reviewing a phone thats actually released.

In all seriousness, Gizmodo's Apple bias is obvious to anyone who frequents them.

They nuked the HTC HD2 because it was Windows Mobile underlying, despite them admitting that HTC Sense made it a fully usable and even enjoyable experience.

They also tend to come down hard on Android phones in similar fashion. Unless it has a fruit logo on it, they don't like it.

The Engadget review is much more expansive and fair.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones