• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Glad I bought an Evo, Droid X actually self-destructs if you try to mod it

Yea right, Apple has been bricking iphone users who jailbreak since the first iphone and that hasn't slowed down any sales. This will be the same for the Droid X. Motorola and Verizons advertising departments are far superior to Sprint and HTC. The Droid X will far out sell the EVO. That said, its good news for evo owners who mod but its not going to be a deal breaker for 99% of people out there.

OMG I'll take this bet! How much?

Anyone that has a Droid is only doing so because of marketing, it really is a crap phone (why I kept my G1 for 2 years).

The only reason to own a Droid is if Sprint service does not work for you. Other than that it's still a POS phone.

Why pay more just becasue it can go over 30fps lol w/e!

Upvote 0
I sure hope all you people who are "up in arms" about Motorola locking a phone are running some distro of Linux on your personal computer....otherwise you all are just a bunch of hypocrites.

I am sure there are some here who do run Linux, but I would bet a years salary, that the vast majority of you open source proponents are running Windows or are on a Mac.

Upvote 0
I sure hope all you people who are "up in arms" about Motorola locking a phone are running some distro of Linux on your personal computer....otherwise you all are just a bunch of hypocrites.

I am sure there are some here who do run Linux, but I would bet a years salary, that the vast majority of you open source proponents are running Windows or are on a Mac.
The argument isn't so much about open source as it is modding in general. The problem is that motorola implemented drastic steps to prevent modding, when the spirit of Android is based around customization. Is a windows computer set to brick if you overclock your processor? Or if you try to save programs to a separate hard drive? Or if you want to alter startup programs?

Upvote 0
Eh, I hope you guys know that this info isn't even verified...

The Droid had the same eFuse chip and it was still hackable.

Don't laugh just yet..
double check the reports. it specifically said that the eFuse wasn't applied in the droid in a way that is meant to be triggered by hacking.

Edit:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...-the-droid-x-may-not-lead-to-a-bricked-phone/
"It is on the very hackable DROID and the not-so-hacking-friendly Milestone, but it is not being used by Motorola to lock the bootloader of the handset."

Upvote 0
...motorola implemented drastic steps to prevent modding, when the spirit of Android is based around customization...

I don't think customization = modification in "the spirit of Android."

...Is a windows computer set to brick if you overclock your processor? Or if you try to save programs to a separate hard drive? Or if you want to alter startup programs?

The difference is that Windows will not be held responsible if you OC your processor and fry it, or if you corrupt your files by hacking around your registry or get tricky with installation locations.

But who will ultimately pay the bill if you "mod" your phone and break something? Either the manufacturer or the insurace company when you file a claim.

Besides all that, isn't the Android operating system under the Apache Software License and not the General Public License? Pretty much gives anyone the right to develop proprietary/locked software for the phone.

Upvote 0
Microsoft just tried this with there Xbox 360.

They released a patch that would disable installing games to the hard drive IF they detected you had modified the firmware of your Xbox 360. I think this lasted about 2 months until Microsoft released yet another patch to Live that would re-enable installing of games TO the hard drive even if you were banned from Xbox Live.

The reason? All the users bitched and there was about to be a lawsuit of Microsoft over "distroying/disabling" hardware people paid for.

I could see Moto ending up with the same issues.

Upvote 0
Guys get off the high horse about "turning in bricked phones"

People who root will rarely brick their phone, hell the EVO has a 4 step program to root and you have to really try to get it to brick.

If people who root only make up like 1% of the people who buy these phones like you say, then what % of that 1 percent actually do something to brick a phone? It isn't very many at all.

Say you paid insurance at 7$ a month for about 4 years, thats about 336$ add in the 50$ deductible and I'm sure you deserve to get your phone replaced if you do happen to brick it. Spare the holy roller high horse ripping off insurance company talk please.

The only thing I could agree with, is the wireless tethering, and I use it rarely myself...but it is a feature you would have to pay a ******ed 30$ a month for if you went about it the legit way...but instead of trying to lock down phones they should just track who is using a hella amount of data on their phone.

For me, I root because if I'm going to own a phone for 2 years then I love being able to install custom roms, themes and not only to make it look new and fresh every few months...but also for a huge performance increase. There are tons of reasons to root that I use WAY more than wireless tethering.

The Droid X= fail

Upvote 0
Easy enough, if it's users fault then charge to fix it or don't replace it.

There's no way that a software change will cause the phones screen to seperate and gather dust under the glass. It needs to be fixed and replaced. Send the phone back with a stock rom after you fix it as long as the data is backed up.

I promise you that HTC would fix my Evo even if I rooted it and the screen came apart.

I in no way even alluded to manufacturing issues.

I promise you that eventually, after someone bricks their phone, Asurion will get a call...."Hello, I lost my phone and need you to send me a replacement."

Or

After damaging their CPU from to high of an overclock/overvoltage, they will get it back to stock rom, and the call the manufacturer....."Hello, my phone isn't working like it should, you need to send me a new one under the warranty."

Upvote 0
Hold on, people.

Droid 1 = Google experience phone (NO MOTO BLUR)

So They did not lock it, right? It did not have Motorola's precious version of the Android OS........

Droid X, has moto blur...... that's probably the reason for the lock. Eff with their shit, they gonna shut you down...

But, you know what???

Usually shit gets hacked anyways, like the iphones...... ipod touches, ect.

I would imagine it can be done, there are always holes in code...... let hackers do the hacking, and be patient for the unlock.

Upvote 0

Not hypocritical at all. If you have a PC, you can always upgrade to the latest version of Windows. Go and get Windows 7 right now if you want! You don't have to wait for your ISP or PC manufacturer to get back to you. You don't need to get xda to 'root' your PC; it's already in admin mode.
Just give us the freedom that we already have with Windows.

Upvote 0
Not hypocritical at all. If you have a PC, you can always upgrade to the latest version of Windows. Go and get Windows 7 right now if you want! You don't have to wait for your ISP or PC manufacturer to get back to you. You don't need to get xda to 'root' your PC; it's already in admin mode.
Just give us the freedom that we already have with Windows.

But if a company like HP designs a proprietary over lay onto windows, like in the HP touch smart line, its illegal to install that on none-HP computers. Its also illegal to modify and redistribute custom versions of windows.

Google should create an easy to access Android only installer and require all manufacturers to allow that. That way manufactures can still protect their IP but users are also free to use default android (like installing linux over windows on windows PCs).

But their still should be some way for custom roms without moto risking their proprietary software from being compromised. Like Linux more so than windows.

Upvote 0
maybe it's just because i dont know/care to hack or mod a phone, if I were with Verizon i would definitely buy this phone. Too bad i'm with AT&T and gonna get the HTC Aria soon
Ugh... why Aria?

I just left AT&T. They just do not have a good Android option.

I came 'this' close to buying a Nexus One for AT&T but having been burned by AT&T's lack of network one too many times I decided to jump ship and go to Sprint.

I'm not sorry I did.

Upvote 0
Wow, that sucks. I will not recommend this to ANYONE. I know the majority of people won't be modding and never face the issue, but the whole point of Android is that it is open and able to be modded. If this isn't possible, what is the point of getting Android.

EVO is still the best phone out there as of now. I was worried about the Iphone 4 and Droid X being "better," guess I can rest knowing that they both FAILED.

Oh yeah, the Droid X is ugly as sin. Looks like Quasimodo

uglyvk3.jpg

QuasiMOTO ? :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones