• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Glitching

A

Android Question

Hi im having a weird glitch on my Samsung Galaxy S2X running 4.0.4. I keep getting pop ups saying " google play services has stopped" Also " com.google.process.gapps has stopped". But it only happend when i have my data plan on or when my wifi is turned on. Cant find anything to help. Thanks in advance!

Ok if it's random like that about the only thing I could suggest is a factory reset unless you've tried that already. If it were only happening at startup, might be able to make the case for a specific app but when google apps issues get that random and prevalent, it's SUPER hard to track it down and even then you may or may not be able to remedy the situation without a reset anyway.

Welcome to the forums by the way. :)

Upvote 0
Okay. Will I loose all my pictures and apps?

Thanks!

Well, it depends a bit upon the phone and some settings. If your phone has an sdcard and if your camera app has an option to save pics to either the sdcard or internal memory...if you have sdcard selected as your default location then you should be fine. If your pics have been saving to the internal memory, you will lose them in the reset unless you can move them beforehand.

As for settings, well I can't remember when exactly Android added the option to backup settings to Google servers. I see you are on ICS and sorry I don't recall if that contained the option. Honestly, in it's early stages, I felt like that option was slightly spotty anyway, not sure if that's still the case or not. Does it backup apps, some settings, both? I honestly don't know because I tried it a couple times and got different results. Mainly I just tried it for kicks though because I'm typically rooted so I use different means to back up my stuff.

Bottom line if you have the option and it's checked you can hope for the best. But I always plan on the worst case scenario though you should be able to trust the sdcard being saved. If something happens to it then things went south and you just entered badlucksville, population one. :D

If you can keep the phone running long enough to check the contents of the card, do that to verify everything is there that you think should be there. If you want to be crazy safe, either transfer the contents of the card over to a PC for safe keeping, or maybe even remove the card during the factory reset process. Nothing like a little OCD (speaking from experience, that is lol).

Reactions: ChIpX
Upvote 0
So far it seems to be working great! I didnt loose any pictures either. One more question. Am i able to update my android to the newest one?

Thank you so much for your help!

Well, you can try installing Samsung Kies from here:

Kies

Note that you will want to install the 2.6 version which supports slightly older phones. Kies 3 is for phones running Android 4.3+ so avoid that.

People seem to have widely varying success with Kies but perhaps give it a shot. The theory is that Kies will recognize your phone and let you know if software updates are available and then allow those updates to be downloaded and installed. If my research is correct, it appears 4.1.2 is the newest firmware for your phone and I assume it won't update any further considering it's age.

If that doesn't work, there is Odin. Here's an older but great thread that explains that procedure but I noticed the download links for the firmware are no longer active. So if you have to go this route, some Google searching may be necessary but at least it will give you the idea on how it can be done via this method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones