1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Global 2.2??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tyler.evert, Jun 29, 2011.

1. tyler.evert

tyler.evert Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Hey, I'm not sure if there is another thread for this topic but I was wondering if there is a global version of Froyo out there. I hate using AT&T's version because of all of the bloatware. It gets on my nerves. So, if there is a global version, would you mind posting a link to it? Thanks a lot! Tyler

Advertisement

2. msueagles2010

msueagles2010 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Xenia, OH
    I think what you'll want to search for is the vanilla froyo build released by Google. It won't have a custom UI (Touchwhiz in this case) or any carrier-added apps. That's the closest thing to a "global" 2.2 release.

3. tyler.evert

tyler.evert Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Will Vanilla Android 2.2 require me rooting my phone?

4. msueagles2010

msueagles2010 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Xenia, OH
    Yes. This will allow you to remove the bloatware and potentially the custom UI.

5. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    There's no universal "generic" Android that will just automatically work on all phones, due to differing hardware. Some customization is necessary. That said, ROM hackers have been working hard for a long time now taking ROMs for other Galaxy S model phones and making the necessary tweaks for them to work (or work well-enough with minimal issues) on the Captivate. But they have to use these other ROMs as a baseline, and are at the mercy of what gets released for these other models.

Certain Captivate-specific features are often victims of this however and are lost, such as the Audience chip (voice processor, reduces background noise while speaking).