• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gm 9 pro exfat error

Roax_077

Lurker
Mar 8, 2023
Friends, I bought a 128 GB EVO Plus memory card, I inserted it into my GM9Pro phone, installed it, then I wanted to download files 46 GB, but the memory card is FAT32 so it does not download more than 4 GB, so I inserted the memory card into my laptop, made exFAT and inserted it into my phone. , this time the phone gave an unsupported memory card warning and asked to format it. When I format it it goes back to FAT32, how can I fix this? I will be glad if you answer

Last edited:
Friends, I bought 128 GB EVO Plus memory card, I installed it on my GM9Pro phone, installed it, then I wanted to download files 46 GB, but the memory card is FAT32, so it does not download more than 4 GB, so I inserted the memory card into my laptop, made exFAT and inserted it into my phone. , this time with the phone it gave warning of unsupported memory card and asked me to format it. When I format it it goes back to FAT32, how can I fix this? I will be glad if you answer
just translated for you.......please use google translate and just copy and paste here.

46gig file? that is crazy huge!!!!!

you might need to format in ext3 or ext 4 not sure if your phone will support it or not.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Exfat 128 I'm barking!!
OMG!!!!!!!
Very Funny Lol GIF by krima&isa

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
You got an older phone that's running Android 7 or 8 or earlier? If so, that won't support removable storage formatted as exFAT. It's FAT32 only, that has a 4GB file size limit. Basically if you want a device that can do exFAT with >4GB files, you'll need to find a newer phone that has Android 10 or later. I believe it is Android 10 that added exFAT support for removable storage.

Upvote 0
my phone has android one 9.0 pie version, does this version have no exfat support?

From what you've described previously, I'm certain it doesn't support exFAT. AFAIK exFAT support was intruduced in Android 10. I have an Android TV-box with Android 10, and that does support exFAT formatted USB hard-drives and thumb-drives. So has no problems with >4GB videos. It's not something you can add with just an app either, as exFAT support is done at the kernel level.

exFAT used to be encumbered with Microsoft software patents, which meant any device manufacturer had to pay $$$ to Microsoft in licensing fees. But those software patents have now expired, and exFAT is now free.

Upvote 0
I'm using a 32GB card in an S4 Mini formatted as FAT32 just fine. There's no 4GB limit I'm aware of and still got 15 GBs left. I don't know what you're all doing wrong. I think the limit is on the root folder not a subfolder though. It sure doesn't run Android 10 (more like Android 4.4)

The problem with FAT32 is the size limit for single files, which is definitely 4GB, e.g. one can't store a 24GB 4k Blu-ray rip movie on any storage that's FAT32 formatted. exFAT doesn't have this limit, and neither does NTFS or MacFS, but those can't usually be used by Android.

I used to have a DLP projector that ran Android 6, and that coudn't mount USB hard-drives or thumb-drives that were exFAT, which meant it couldn't show any movies that were above 4GB in size. I also found Windows XP can't use exFAT formatted storage either. Windows 7 or later can.

If you try and copy a larger than 4GB file to any storage that's FAT32 you'll just get an error, no matter how much free capacity its got. Which is what the OP sees when he tries to copy the 46GB file to the FAT32 formatted 128GB EVO Plus memory card,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones