• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GM Working on Android Powered Car

byteware

Android Expert
Feb 18, 2010
Alabama
GM is working on an Android Powered Car system for their vehicles. This will synchronize with your Android phone and allow you to start your car from your phone (I assume lock/unlock the car as well). It will have full GPS integration as well.

It definitely seems interesting to me.

Android is appearing everywhere: TV/Appliances/Cars. Soon Android will just be a way of life...

Makes me wonder about skynet.... :rolleyes:

At this rate we will have cars like Will Smith's car in I, Robot :D

irobot3.jpg

Upvote 0
I think that's a really terrible idea. The hacking/car theft possibilities are endless. I'll pass on that one.

I don't mind it for ICE (In Car Entertainment) /Navigation/Music like the Ford Synch, Audi MMI, Mercedes COMAD.

If it had s slick UI, the ability to do voice dictated NAV directions, Nav w/ satellite layers, Street-view, that would be cool. As long as it is not tied to a SIM/data-plan, I'm all for it.

Upvote 0
It is not an android powered car. For the Chevy Volt there will be an Android app that syncs with OnStar. For years OnStar has been able to lock/unlock your car, start your car, run diagnostics, use GPS to locate your car/turn by turn directions, and even disable your engine.

The only thing that is new here is that if you own a Volt you will be able to do most of this with an app instead of having to call OnStar and have them do it for you. I hope they will expand this to all their OnStar equipped cars so that I can use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones