1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gmail 4.5 - is it possible to have different 'send as' text per email account?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by funops321, Aug 5, 2013.

1. funops321

funops321 Lurker

Hello. I have a Nexus 7 that I enjoy daily. Android 4.3. I've been using a a mail app but have been trying out the new Gmail app (4.5). What I'm trying to figure out, if possible, is how to have a different text/name in the From: field on the recipient's end.

I have a few different mail addresses per work per company division. Let's say, for instance:

ford@gmail.com
    chevy@gmail.com
    tires@gmail.com

etc. Via my computer's mail (I use Thunderbird), I can have a different account 'name' for each and that is what the recipient sees in their From: field. Thus,

What I'm not able to find in the Gmail app is ability to have a different 'send as' text per each different/separate mail account. Thus far any mail sent from either of those (example) accounts all say John Smith (i.e., my name) in the From: field no matter which mail account I send from. I believe John Smith might have been the name I used when I set up the Nexus 7 for the first time (only I used my real name, and that is not what I want the recipient to see). I want them to see the division's name as exampled above.

Is this possible in the Gmail 4.5 app?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Los Angeles

Advertisement

2. eirianbryn

eirianbryn Member

Hello. I know it is possible to set if you log in on a computer. You have to actually log into gmail and you can change the display name in the settings menu, and it will carry over to when you send mail from the app. I don't know if its possible from the app itself. If it is I can't find anywhere to do it.

3. funops321

funops321 Lurker

Hi. Thank you for your reply. That is what I was thinking as well but whenever I send a note from any of my gmail.com accounts using the new Gmail 4.5 app, the From: field on the recipient's end says my name, Bob Brady, it does not say the 'send as' name as set up in the online gmail account. Doesn't seem to matter which of my 3 gmail accounts I use, such as Division A, Division B, Division C, it always says to the recipient From: Bob Brady, not From: Division A, or From: Division B, etc.

I'll keep tinkering. My other Nexus 7 mail app which I've been using has an option in its Settings to have what I want the From: to say per each account but that's a different app. I am trying to get on board with the Gmail 4.5 app because it otherwise seems very interesting.

I'll be sure to report back if I get this working. :) It seems too essential so maybe I'm just overlooking something.

Best,
    Bob

4. eirianbryn

eirianbryn Member

Ohhh, I see. It shows the alternate name but also shows the email. :thinking:

5. funops321

funops321 Lurker

I think I figured it out. Operator error, of sorts. :) I have been testing by sending mail from the Gmail app to myself via the different gmail.com accounts set up in the Gmail app. I then go to my PC computer to check the mail, using Thunderbird. I have various Tbird filters set up that push things around and make some changes so I know who/what is sending. So I went to an entirely different computer (iMac using Mac mail) and voila, everything comes through via From: exactly as I have the account set up online for gmail.com in the Settings > Accounts > Send mail as: setting. :)

Thanks again. Without your confirming that this should work as you noted, I may have spent some more frustrating time on this. Instead now I can relax with a glass of wine.

Cheers,
    Bob

6. funops321

funops321 Lurker

Just to add some icing on the cake, something else I discovered/realized is my address book on the destination computer. I have nicknames in the address book for some addresses. Consequently that is what I was seeing in the From: field for the name of the sender (albeit the correct email address). Once I wrapped my head around that, I got this all straightened out. My mistake was to use my own computer to check the test emails being sent from me via the Gmail app.

Bob