• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gmail and filtering

weaim2pleez

Apr 24, 2010
i came from a blackberry so learning here..but i know how to set up my pop email account to go through gmail and get sent to my phone, however can i filter only certain emails to my phone? i really dont want them all going to my phone as i read most via computer, i only want ones coming from certain contacts being sent to my phone, how would i do this? thanks

An easy way is to use multiple gmail accounts (I use one for personal, works, bills, junk) and then only setup the ones you want on the phone.

Alternatively, you can have all your mail come into ONE gmail account (everyone uses the same email to reach you) and then use filters withing gmail to dispense the ones you want to an account you can check on your phone.

Personally, I have them all come to my phone and then CHOOSE which ones to read during the day and which ones can wait until I am at my desk.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is an elegant way, the GMail App by definition is your gmail account, not a subset thereof. It is not pop3 downloading, you are in your gmail web interface in front of all your mail.

You can do ugly things like filter non-contacts to a label and skip inbox, that will prevent your phone getting the notifications, but still it will be there...

Upvote 0
well i only want certain emails to be sent to the phone, from certain contacts and i cannot figure out how to filter only certain emails to the phone via gmail. can someone explain how please?

I dunno but I'm anxiously anticipating this as well. The problem with letting them all come to the phone and just picking which ones to read is that the phone goes off constantly.

Upvote 0
yes really dont like sorting through tons of non important emails...i really hate to switch back to blackberry but may have to if there is no solution for this. what about is there any applications out there that allow you to change notifications on your phone for certain email addresses/contacts, this would allow me to be alerted to allow the important emails...please help me from going back to the bb!

Upvote 0
I do something like this, with two gmail accounts. Set up another gmail account (different from your account on your phone). Let that be the catchall account, where you forward pop3 accounts & whatever. Then in that account, define filters to forward email from specific contacts to your phone gmail account.

It's a little unwieldy to set up, but once done, you'll only see the emails you want to see on your phone.

I hope that fits in with what you're trying to do.

Keith

Upvote 0
Have gmail read the POP account you want to filter.

Let's say, that account is myaccount.com.

Now, in the gmail account in which you read myaccount.com, set up the following filter:

On the first filter page, put "myaccount.com" in the To: field
In the Doesn't have: field, put the email addresses you WANT to let through (trust me on this one).

On the next filter page, check "Skip the inbox" and "Delete" or whatever other action you want (I label all the emails that were skipped with a label like "myaccount skip" so I can still, if I want, see the ones that were filtered on my phone).

Now you have a single filter that will allow only emails from the email addresses you want to go to your gmail account. You can now safely read that gmail account on your phone.

If you want at some future point to let more email addresses through, just add them to the "Doesn't have" field.

BTW, this is not theoretical, it's how I have my main POP account set up, so I get filtered emails pushed to my phone.

Upvote 0
I don't use gmail at all but I recall a setting in the app to restrict mail sync to certain labels.

I started to reply in this thread yesterday with information along those lines and discovered (or rediscovered) that you can't set the Inbox to NOT sync, so any messages that stay in the Inbox will trigger a notification.

Unless I'm missing something, the down side to using multiple mailboxes (as I see it) is that once a message is forwarded from one to the other, they are independent. Reading and/or deleting a message on the phone (in the filtered mailbox) does not make a corresponding change to the unfiltered mailbox, so when you go to reall ALL your mail in the unfiltered mailbox, you'll have to read/delete those messages that were forwarded to your phone all over again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones