• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail and HTC mail and K9 mail?

F

ffeingol

With a little luck my inc will show up tomorrow and I've got one question before it arrives.

From what I understand it will come 'pre-installed' with both the Android gmail app and the HTC email app. From what I ready the Android/gmail app delivers nearly instant gmail, but the fastest you can do other mailboxes is a 5 minute poll (no IMAP IDLE). From what I hear the HTC app has a slicker user interface (especially with the contact list) but it's still limited to the 5 poll (no IMAP IDLE). K9 OTOH, does support IMAP IDLE so the mail 'should' arrive almost instnatly.

So the question is:

Can I have all 3 apps on the phone at the same time all grabbing mail from the same mailbox(es) so I can compare all 3 at once? I realize that I may get triple notifies but I can live with that until I decide which I like best.

No one has any thoughts on this? I've searched the other threads here, can anyone confirm if the HTC mail app supports IMAP IDLE?

no it doesn't.

but as you already said k9 does. you can have all 3. k9 is not as polished as the HTC mail or Android/Gmail but it has it's advantages (multiple identities etc). i did run both k9 and gmail (google app mail with "send as" for multiple identities). settled on the android/gmail for now.

btw- you can turn off notifications for either k9 or gmail so you won't get double or triple notifications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones