1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Gmail and HTC mail and K9 mail?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ffeingol, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ffeingol

ffeingol Guest

With a little luck my inc will show up tomorrow and I've got one question before it arrives.

From what I understand it will come 'pre-installed' with both the Android gmail app and the HTC email app. From what I ready the Android/gmail app delivers nearly instant gmail, but the fastest you can do other mailboxes is a 5 minute poll (no IMAP IDLE). From what I hear the HTC app has a slicker user interface (especially with the contact list) but it's still limited to the 5 poll (no IMAP IDLE). K9 OTOH, does support IMAP IDLE so the mail 'should' arrive almost instnatly.

So the question is:

Can I have all 3 apps on the phone at the same time all grabbing mail from the same mailbox(es) so I can compare all 3 at once? I realize that I may get triple notifies but I can live with that until I decide which I like best.

Advertisement

2. ffeingol

ffeingol Guest

No one has any thoughts on this? I've searched the other threads here, can anyone confirm if the HTC mail app supports IMAP IDLE?

3. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

Apr 1, 2010
    no it doesn't.

but as you already said k9 does. you can have all 3. k9 is not as polished as the HTC mail or Android/Gmail but it has it's advantages (multiple identities etc). i did run both k9 and gmail (google app mail with "send as" for multiple identities). settled on the android/gmail for now.

btw- you can turn off notifications for either k9 or gmail so you won't get double or triple notifications.