1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support gmail and recurring delivery of deleted emails

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by tom levii, Jun 17, 2016.

1. tom levii

tom levii Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Hello everyone,
    I have had trouble with my gmail account since setting it up. I get dozens and dozens of deleted emails returning with "not read" attached. Also, opening up an email often opens up with just the title of the email and not the content. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, have permanently emptied the deleted mail, but no. I wonder if this problem is also attached to my computer, where I have had similar problems with gmail. Your help would be so very much appreciated, as obviously there is no way to get a response from gmail itself. Thanks.
    tom

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    What app are you using to read/manage your gmails? The gmail app or another email app? On your PC are you using gmail in a browser, or an email client to handle gmail?

3. tom levii

tom levii Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for replying Girolez:
    My phone is a galaxy 7s edge. I used the app provided by the phone, then tried a dedicated gmail app from Playstore. Both give problems. On the computer, I normally access gmail via Outlook. I can also access via Chrome. My gmail on the computer has had all of the recurring mail problems as my present problem with the phone, but at the moment it is only the phone that is giving me major trouble.
    Hope this information can help with any ideas you may have. Thanks again.... tom

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi again

It may be something like this:

On your phone, the email app pick up gmails (from your gmail account) at whatever interval the sync schedule is set to. If you have deleted gmails somewhere else between syncs, it may pick up those as well (because it syncs the gmail trash) and notifies you because you have email notifications set to on.

I'm not sure without having an S7 edge or a windows PC with Outlook, but I guess it will be something along those lines.

Maybe remove gmail from everything except the android gmail app and your chrome browser and see if the problem continues. If it does, there may be something odd at Google's end.

I have my gmail account set to pull in my other email accounts (settings are in the browser version but apply in the phone app as well) and it works fine, but I realise this is no good if you use outlook. (although the gmail app does now support exchange accounts)

5. tom levii

tom levii Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Hello again Giroez,
    First, let me thank you for your reply. I appreciate this and how quickly you gave it.
    I have sync set to "auto", which I believe means there is no lapse between pick ups but instead is constant.
    It is possible that preventing Outlook from receiving emails will help the computer, but perhaps not the phone.
    I think the problem lies with my Gmail settings in the computer, but I simply don't know what it is. I have searched around them, but nothing obvious shows itself, and gmail is just awful in the way it sets things out.
    Another odd thing is that my inbox holds emails for only a few hours or a day and then sends them to "all mail".
    Not sure where to go from here. Again, thanks for writing. I will keep on looking. If I do find a solution, I will be sure to let you know.
    tom