1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Gmail App opening first message

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JohnnyT, Dec 8, 2010.

1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    I am running Froyo on an unrooted DInc. When I click on the Gmail App from the Homescreen, it opens up the latest message in my Inbox, whether it is new or not. I just want it to open up to the list of messages. Anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement

2. jaymf

jaymf Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    I think it might be how you leave the gmail app, I usually hit ""Go to inbox" before I do anything to get out of the app and it seems to always come back to the conversation list when I go back into it. I don't know if it makes a difference just loading into the app, but do you have the "Auto-advance" setting set to show the conversation list?

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Well, the way it usually goes is that I go into the app by touching the Gmail icon on my Homescreen. That takes me to the app and of course opens the first message and that is the first thing I see. I would hit the back arrow to go back to the conversation list, and back again to exit the app. So, the last thing I see before leaving the app is the conversation list. If I then go back in, it will do the same thing and open the first message.

As for the "Auto-advance" setting, I have it set to "Conversation list".

And I cannot hit "Go to inbox" before getting out of the app because it opens the first message, I then hit Menu, select Go to inbox, and if I select the back arrow it just takes me back to the message. I suppose I could just hit the Home key, but I just don't believe that is the way it is supposed to work.

4. jaymf

jaymf Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    I guess I didn't completely write out what I was thinking - I just realized I always do "Go to Inbox" then hit the home key. Like you, I noticed that if I did back repeatedly to get out of it, I'd come back into gmail into a conversation, sometimes even ones I already read even with a new response in the same conversation. I don't know if there's something else to do to stop that from happening.