• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GMail app quirks - deleting messages and related

DrJER

Lurker
May 7, 2012
Using a Samsung GS2 under 4.0.3 with stock apps, fully upgraded.

A couple of GMail app quirks that are bugging me:

1. Is there no way to delete an individual posting in a conversation thread on the app? On the web, you can "Delete this message", but there just doesn't appear to be an equivalent on the app.

2. Even weirder: Let's say I have a conversation thread with 8 postings. I delete 4 of those postings on the web. I even permanently remove them from the trash. On the web, all is good. On my phone's web browser access to GMail, all is good. BUT, on the stock GMail app, the deleted threads continue to appear! They continue to appear even after the messages are permanently deleted on the server. How can this be? They must be sticking around in the app phone memory. Bottom line, my GMail app does not provide a perfect match with the web.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for that. Force synching doesn't make any difference. It is interesting that in All Mail, the match between the web and the App is spot-on. Of course, when I access GMail on my phone using the web browser, it too is spot-on. It's only the GMail app inbox that's weird. I would have thought that what I see on the app should be an exact match with I see on the web, but it's not. I'd love to know how the app actually does its stuff. It must store mail on the device; how else could messages that have actually been deleted off the web server still appear on the device. They only vanish when I reset the app by deleting all of its data. Confusing, and irritating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones