• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GMail app still auto-suggesting misspelled Contacts

dcmidnight

Lurker
Jun 25, 2016
Absolutely driving me insane.

Have tried a number of suggestions here including clearing all of the data caches. Nothing seems to work.

I have two misspelled Gmail contacts that I cannot delete no matter what I try.

Lets say the email addresses are

person@email.com (correct)
person@emall.com
person@eemail.com

with one being correct and two being some misspellings that got in there along the way.

When I clear the Gmail app data cache and relaunch Gmail, it does not autosuggest any contacts. When I compose an email and start to type in an email address, it then asks if you want to "Allow Contact Suggestions". If you allow it, there they are, the misspelled addresses pop right back up.

However, these are not visible *anywhere* in the Contacts app, that I can find. And they are nowhere in my GMail account when I logon through my computer.

If you have your phone's Contacts app link to your Google account, log into your account at https://contacts.google.com and clean up your contact entries from there. If you only have your contacts entries on your phone, you need to use the Contacts app itself to edit and correct things. Stop wasting time clearing app caches, your contacts info are not stored there.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I think the OP is saying that when logging into his account on a PC the misspelled contacts are not there. I'm wondering if it's drawing those misspellings from your keyboard dictionary and not your contacts list. Which keyboard are you using?

Correct, I use Swype but when I switch to the Samsung keyboard, there is no change.

The misspelled addresses are also not in my Gmail Contacts list - even when looking under "Other Contacts" which seemed to have a ton more contacts. 150 or so on my phone and in the main portion of my Google Contacts list but 550 or so in "Other Contacts"

Upvote 0
I wonder if Swype shares the personal dictionary with the Google keyobard. Have you tried clearing the personal dictionaries?

I ended up deleting Swype altogether - so all I have now are Gboard and the Samsung keyboard. There are no words stored in the personal dictionaries of either.

FWIW this only happens on the phone. I've tried GMail on my iPad Pro - and laptop - and neither are showing all of these addresses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones