• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail app TERRIBLE!

Final general note on this:

In gmail there is a option to reply via the account it was received on. So it will use your default email to compose everything, but when you get email via a different account (if you have multiple) and reply, it will reply using that accounts server to send (if it is configured properly, and the "to:" field matches the server you set up to send)

Let me know how this all does. Hopefully it works out for you. I know it took me a day or two to fully get my network of email accounts all synced and forwarding properly to gmail to allow me to get instant email via my droid. A bit of a hastle at first, but after that, I have not need to ever worry about gmail again, and can use everything as I did before, and as it should work on my phone. :) OHHH TECHNOLOGY

Upvote 0
just tested this...if the pic in the email is just copy/pasted it'll just show up as text. when i sent myself a pic as an actual attachment i get the full pic in the email and 2 buttons (Download + Preview). Links worked fine but i used the *link* button and didn't just copy/paste a link when sending. Hope this helps

I just got an email that does the same thing. In the web interface on my PC it looks fine. On my Droid, all of the pictures are replaced with little blue squares with a question mark inside.

Upvote 0
This is the type of post these forums need. It's almost embarrassing how cruel some of you guys are, not to mention downright helpless. Can a moderator please delete the useless/rude posts?

This was a valid question. UncleMike answered it correctly. Please learn from his professionalism.

Batch Delete - in the main list of conversations in Gmail there are check boxes on the left side. Start checking them, and three choices will appear at the bottom of the screen - Archive, Labels and Delete. Pick one. Or, press the menu button for more options.

Can't Save Pictures - When I get an email with a JPG attached, I get a Download and a Preview button right next to the attachment. Do you not get these? Or is that not the problem?

Can't even click most links - implies that SOME links are clickable. I haven't experienced this problem. Can you be more specific?

Upvote 0
This is the type of post these forums need. It's almost embarrassing how cruel some of you guys are, not to mention downright helpless. Can a moderator please delete the useless/rude posts?

This was a valid question. UncleMike answered it correctly. Please learn from his professionalism.

While I agree bashing was not needed, note that the OP never asked any questions. He unleashed a series of complaints about the phone (and rudely, in my opinion). He never asked for help, and clearly did not search for help because most of his "problems" have been discussed before. If you start a post with a flame, expect a flame in response.

Upvote 0
Agreed the original post should not have been a flame, but a help needed post instead. One really needs to look beyond that, and know that these are really 3 questions on how to use the gmail app. Same questions I had at first. this is a great example on how two wrongs don't make a right. Instead they just make for a page of bad posts.

There is really no benefit to flaming back other than a microsecond of personal satisfaction. It insults the original poster, the future readers, removes credibility and reflects poorly on the Android community.

Answering the question like UncleMike did really brings the Android community up a notch in my book. Also teaches the original poster to look for a solution and not dwell on the problem.

I hate censorship, but this post would really help people if the title were changed and the useless posts removed.

Upvote 0
I get only the preview button. I have had my phone only a week but I can find no way to save any attachments to the card or anywhere else.

I went into settings and looked through there to see if I had some feature disabled but could find none that might relate. I even tried to send an attachment to my text client but it stripped the attachment off. Interestingly I had received two texts from "Market" that contained attachments of ringtones I had ordered.

I use my Droid for work so an inability to save attachments is unacceptable. I'm hoping someone has a workaround for this.

I see lots of people saying they can do all these things, but if the OP really can't see or figure out how, none of this is any help, except possibly to indicate that his Droid is defective in some way.

Batch Delete - in the main list of conversations in Gmail there are check boxes on the left side. Start checking them, and three choices will appear at the bottom of the screen - Archive, Labels and Delete. Pick one. Or, press the menu button for more options.

Can't Save Pictures - When I get an email with a JPG attached, I get a Download and a Preview button right next to the attachment. Do you not get these? Or is that not the problem?

Can't even click most links - implies that SOME links are clickable. I haven't experienced this problem. Can you be more specific?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. I sent my emails as attachments but only get a "Preview" button. No menu options I can find will let me save the attachment.

just tested this...if the pic in the email is just copy/pasted it'll just show up as text. when i sent myself a pic as an actual attachment i get the full pic in the email and 2 buttons (Download + Preview). Links worked fine but i used the *link* button and didn't just copy/paste a link when sending. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. I sent my emails as attachments but only get a "Preview" button. No menu options I can find will let me save the attachment.

I find this true as well. The download (ability) of an attachment seems to depend on the attachment. I can only preview .xls files that are attachments, no download option.
J.

Upvote 0
I find this true as well. The download (ability) of an attachment seems to depend on the attachment. I can only preview .xls files that are attachments, no download option.
J.

You should be able to dowload jpeg, but other files only allow you to preview. However, if you go to GMail through the browser, you should be able to download all attachments.

I dont know about the clicking links thing, I can't do it.

Also, is there a way to mark/check all without having to click individually?

You should be able to click links in an email message.

There is no check all.

Upvote 0
Ok, I thought I was going crazy as the link thing has been an issue for me as well. Here is 2 pictures (very crappy sorry). Both are emails from this site about thread updates, in the one you can clearly see the link is blue and clickable, in the other picture the link is not clickable.

Attachments

• Not working.jpg
    Not working.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Working.jpg
    Working.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

This is an informal forum, not an official helpdesk channel for Android or Google.

You want professionalism, go to a professional, the rest of us are amateurs and enthusiasts. We're not getting paid here (or at least I'm not :) ).

If it hurts your sensibilities to read real people reacting honestly to hostility, then perhaps earth isn't for you.

And just so I can be helpful.

Try installing "Download crutch" from the marketplace. It's supposed to let you download ANYTHING. Android is set up to only allow you to download things that ANDROID can open.

Upvote 0
I sent myself an email with a JPG in the body, and JPG, DOC, XLS and PDF attachments. As others have said, the ability to download is limited by the type of file. My experience with links have been the same as others (that is, somewhat spotty, but generally okay).

JPG in the body (inserted image with Outlook 2003)
Gmail app: can't view or save
Gmail web app: can view and save

JPG attachment
Gmail app: can download and preview
Gmail web app: can download and preview

DOC, XLS and PDF files
Gmail app: can only preview

My workaround for the Gmail app is Documents to Go (full). When I preview using Documents to Go, I can *then* save the files. I haven't tried K-9, but I understand that many think it is a nice alternative to the stock mail apps.

I agree with others that this functionality needs to be added to the core Gmail app.

Upvote 0
...DOC, XLS and PDF files
Gmail app: can only preview

My workaround for the Gmail app is Documents to Go (full). When I preview using Documents to Go, I can *then* save the files. I haven't tried K-9, but I understand that many think it is a nice alternative to the stock mail apps.

I agree with others that this functionality needs to be added to the core Gmail app.

But the Droid doesn't come with any "office" programs, so its not so much a "workaround" as much as its "something which needs to be done" if you want to edit documents. The native "office viewer" doesn't seem to be accessible directly, and doesn't want to be uninstalled.

Upvote 0
But the Droid doesn't come with any "office" programs, so its not so much a "workaround" as much as its "something which needs to be done" if you want to edit documents. The native "office viewer" doesn't seem to be accessible directly, and doesn't want to be uninstalled.
Quick Office is actually a paid app [see Quickoffice Quickoffice for Android] that Google apparently licensed for the Droid for viewing capabilities. A trip to their website shows that they don't support editing with this app at all and upon a quick scan, I could find nothing about support for saving documents. Having come from BB, and having used Documents to Go for quite some time, I was okay with paying for editing functionality.

I think viewing and saving is key and should be supported natively, but I'm fine with using a paid app for editing (but wouldn't object to free! :D)

Upvote 0
Ok, I thought I was going crazy as the link thing has been an issue for me as well. Here is 2 pictures (very crappy sorry). Both are emails from this site about thread updates, in the one you can clearly see the link is blue and clickable, in the other picture the link is not clickable.

Same for me, blue link is clickable and purple is not. IF you set the message to "mark as unread" the purple (unclickable) will become blue again and clickable.

Also at the top of a new opened email (multiple replies) you will see a 'read 3 messages' tap on that and you will see the new replies and a new blue (clickable) link.

Upvote 0
Same for me, blue link is clickable and purple is not. IF you set the message to "mark as unread" the purple (unclickable) will become blue again and clickable.

Also at the top of a new opened email (multiple replies) you will see a 'read 3 messages' tap on that and you will see the new replies and a new blue (clickable) link.

Just tried both of your suggestions with the email notifying me of your post. Unfortunately neither worked as the link remains unclickable..

One think I have noticed is that it tends to occur more often with emails that are grouped together versus individual emails.

Upvote 0
Just tried both of your suggestions with the email notifying me of your post. Unfortunately neither worked as the link remains unclickable..

One think I have noticed is that it tends to occur more often with emails that are grouped together versus individual emails.

Strange, this works for me and a few others that have voiced it on these forums. Maybe take it into the vzw store and tell them that that is how it is supposed to work and you might have a problem with your phone, or the app, which is built into the phone, so is an issue for them to look at.

Upvote 0
Strange, this works for me and a few others that have voiced it on these forums. Maybe take it into the vzw store and tell them that that is how it is supposed to work and you might have a problem with your phone, or the app, which is built into the phone, so is an issue for them to look at.

It's all good, I'm not really bothered to much by the unclickable link as it really isnt that big a deal to simply copy/paste if I really want to see whatever it is "right now".

I actually really only responded to show that while the op could have come across a bit better in his post, what he said did have at least some merit and wasn't simply "user error". I'm confident alot of these little quirks will get worked out in the end.

Thanks for the tips tho, I'll try them both again the next time and see if perhaps it's just a hit/miss thing there as well.

Upvote 0
It's all good, I'm not really bothered to much by the unclickable link as it really isnt that big a deal to simply copy/paste if I really want to see whatever it is "right now".

i feel really dumb asking this, but how do you copy text out of the body of an email you received? i know how to do it in a text input box, as in text that *i* typed, but when i receive a gmail i don't know how to copy the text (short of replying, and copying it out of the reply email).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones