• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GMail App - Using Contact Groups

I have a droid x2 running 2.3.3. This is weird! I can send to groups using my yahoo account but can't using my gmail account. All my groups have been synced from gmail and appear in my contacts as groups. In my yahoo account when I compose an email. I begin to type the groups name in the address section and it appears in the suggestions. I click it and it inserts all group members into the email. When I do so in gmail, my groups don't appear??? I'm not sure if it is a android problem, gmail problem or what.

Upvote 0
I found a way to create email groups and send to them on the android gmail program.

1. Create a new "regular" contact and give it a name like "New Project Group" etc.
2. On an email line add the first email, ending with the right arrow (>). Then put the comma and a space and start the second email with a left arrow (<) and finish it with a right arrow (>). Do this until the last email and leave the last right arrow off. Then when you create an email from this "group" the email program supplies the first and last arrow and it works!
3. The line looks like this email1@email.com>, <email2@email.com>, <email3@email.com>, <email4@email.com
4. Warning: You must begin from the gmail app and call up this group for it to format properly. If you start from within the contact list, and click the "email" icon, it doesn't work. (Of the two choice, I'm glad starting from the email app is the one that works!)

Note: If you are creating multiple groups to use, I found it easier to create the groups on my laptop in the regular gmail program, rather than on my tablet, but both work.

Reactions: PatrickD88
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones