1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gmail boot loop problem actually fixed?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by westbros, Jan 15, 2014.

1. westbros

westbros Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    I have been following the issue of the Gmail boot loop problem since last autumn. For those unaware this was the fairly devastating (for some) issue that affected version 4.6.

Google Groups

It was months before version 4.7 was released and until that happened I simply refused to update my Galaxy S3. Version 4.7 (specifically 4.7.1) was supposed to remove the boot loop problem, but looking at the following Google forums thread that was linked on the above one, there were still a couple of people reporting a boot loop.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/gmail/4.7$20android/gmail/sUu2lCGbMoM/mDihJBAbH5MJ

There is now an update to 4.7.2.

When I updated to 4.7 I switched off the autosync option which was the root of the problem and I haven't dared to switch it back on yet. It's a pain, because I don't receive e-mails unless I physically open the Gmail app and drag down to sync, but it's a lot less hassle than the boot loop hell some people have had.

So can anyone please tell me whether the boot loop problem really has been fixed? Or should I keep autosync switched off? Thanks all.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm using 4.7.2 with no problems.

That being said, I didn't have any issues with any of the preceding releases either. :)

westbros likes this.
  3. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    I've never even heard of this issue until now. Never had a bootloop on any of my devices.

westbros likes this.
  4. westbros

westbros Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear, but I'm really interested in finding out from people using the Galaxy S3, just in case it's a device-specific problem.