1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Gmail client vs Default Mail Client /IMAP

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 00grimy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. 00grimy

00grimy Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    I'm coming from a Optimus V with a 2.x something android, so I'm a bit confused why I have these IMAP things in my mail client. I'm also not sure if I should run the gmail app or the regular mail app. When I send an email it does not update the conversation to include my email with the new date it was sent. Seems to be this way on both mail clients. It does show up in the sent folder though. Strange. Which one should I stop using and what's the deal with the Imap thing?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    There are 2 protocols used to receive email - IMAP and POP3. When you delete a POP3 email, you're deleting it from your phone, when you delete an IMAP email you delete it from the world.

IMAP is normally used when more than one device will be accessing the account (like your phone and your computer), POP3 is used when only 1 device will be accessing the account.

Use the program you like better - they work about the same. (I used GMail for a while, then switched to the native email client.) There are also about a dozen other email apps you can find on the Play store, some better, some worse.

3. 00grimy

00grimy Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks for the help, any idea why certain emails don't update showing my reply as the most recent?