1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gmail contact list merge problems/frustrations

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mystvearn, Jun 23, 2011.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    MY
    Before obtaining my android phone, I use a lot of my gmail like a normal email. When I got the phone, the first thing it asks me is do I want to sync with my online contacts, which I don't want since all of them are emails and I want to store numbers. When I did that sync, I noticed emails/names of contacts on the phone of people I never knew of (as I only emailed them once some long time ago). This is annoying so I turn off syncing with gmail to handle emails and the phone to handle numbers and selected emails of contacts which I have on the phone.

I have numbers in vcard format and the phone asks me if I want to place it in google-which is beyond me as the last thing I do is want to place numbers online. Though I will admit when your cor.android.process is corrupted backing it from online is easier than making a vcard file.

Today when I wanted to email a frequently contact person, the email address is gone from my contact list. In fact all email addresses of all contacts are gone. I had to use the reply function of an old email in order to email the person. I have no idea how my contacts disappeared though I'm guessing my phone had a part wiping the emails and replacing the contacts with numbers and I found the numbers at the "restore contacts" part of gmail.

My question is this. I don't mind placing numbers online, but I want a separate email and phone number list. Is this possible? I don't want every email address on my phone the same way I don't want every number contact in my gmail when I want to send an email to someone just because the name is similar. It looks like my email contact list have disappeared into oblivion.

Advertisement

2. ed33433

ed33433 Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    Since the NEW updtae, I haven't been able to sync my gmail contact also. Called Sprint and and email's go back and forth with HTC---still; NFG
    I'll just wait for the iPhone 5 to come to Sprint and switch

3. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

Way off top from the OP...but anywhoooooo, have tried this?:

1. Backed up your contacts on your PC/MAC
    2. Clear the data of people app
    3. Rebooted the device
    This may work.