• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail Contacts Gone, Eris wont sync contacts

brain

Nov 7, 2009
Strange problem started few weeks ago, I logged in to my gmail and needed to send email and it wouldn't suggest contacts anymore. I went into contacts and all of them gone except the ones that only had email field filled in. The groups that i created are there but no contacts.

I went into my phone and google contacts are there but they won't sync, errors out with "sync is temporary down".

All this creates another problem for me, I have phone contacts and google contacts in my Eris. Phone contact are synced to PC and all is good but I need my google contact in my gmail so I can email people and I have no way of putting them back to gmail and don't even know how to back them up.

Any help would be appreciated.

See my post regarding this:

"My wife and I just recently got a Droid Eris and I took my old phone (Blackberry Curve from T-mobile) into Verizon yesterday to get all of my old contacts synced over to my new phone and it purged all of my existing gmail emails and accounts saved on my computer at home by putting all of my "new" phone contacts into google accounts instead of phone accounts on my Eris instead. The person at Verizon didn't know how to undo this and she said they didn't give her an option as to where to import the phone contacts into either "phone" or "google". I now lost all of my existing gmail contacts and now everyone on my old Blackberry shows up in my contact lists on Gmail. It's frustrating to have my grandma show up in Gmail when she doesn't even have a computer to email me on. Another quirk is now people's nicknames that were in my old phone now pop up into the "To" fields of Gmail when I try writing them e-mails. Any idea on how to switch everyone from a google account to a phone account with the Eris?"

This sounds like the same problem I've been dealing with.

Upvote 0
I've been having an issue with syncing as well. I keep getting a messaging stating too many contacts deletes. However, I haven't deleted any either on my phone, or though google. I had my contacts uploaded from my old phone and I'm sure it's something to do with that. Therefore, the built in mail app on the Eris won't work with Gmail. Makes no sense why this is so difficult and I can't figure out how to fix it. Gmail works with the Gmail app, but is pretty slow to sync, etc.

If anyone has any thoughts...

Upvote 0
Phone contact are synced to PC and all is good but I need my google contact in my gmail so I can email people and I have no way of putting them back to gmail and don't even know how to back them up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Was just wondering, is there a way to sync my contacts to my PC without using Google? I just want to backup all my contacts on my PC but I do not use Outlook, etc...

Thanks

Upvote 0
Wow!! I'm not crazy. I've had the same problem with my Droid Eris. I kept getting the error message "Too many contact deletes" without ever deleting anything, so I unchecked the contact synch box.

After last week's Verizon software update, though, I tried it again -- and it wiped out all the contacts on my phone.

Now I still can't get the two to sync -- it just appears to synch for a few seconds, but doesn't actually do anything -- plus I have an empty phone book on my phone.

I spoke with a Verizon rep on the phone, who conference called a HTC tech. They had me deleting my Google account and re-registering it. No go. I went into a Verizon store tonight, and they didn't know either, saying that Google mail and Droid phone always synch. They chalked it up to a detective phone.

No one at Verizon or HTC seems to think this is a common problem for the Droid!

Upvote 0
Actually, I think it (too many contacts deletes) is fairly common. I checked around a bit on Google and it seemed pretty common with the Hero, etc. My girlfriend has the same phone and the same issue.

I suspect what has to be done is I have to transfer all my contacts over to Google's contacts (by hand, no doubt), delete them from my phone and re-sync.

I have no idea why this is how it's working, but once you take that step, it's supposed to work out well.

I do wish there was an option to upload my phone's contacts to Google through some sort of app, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Upvote 0
I think I figured out a way to fix this! I have the Eris and was getting the "too many contacts deletes" error message and I went to settings, data synchronization, Google, and turned off contacts sync!

Not sure if the message will come back, but I don't think so.

Thanks for sharing. I ended up doing the same thing and it has been working fine. However, not really a long-term solution to having all my contacts info together. But for phone purposes, this did work fine.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones