• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail force closing upon opening email

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I don't know what it is, but it's recent. Probably in the last week - so maybe an update was pushed out that is causing this.

I have three Gmail accounts on my phone: the original account that Verizon set up for my Motorola Droid in 2009 (which I use for apps and admin stuff); my working Gmail account; and my personal account. All is well until I try to open, read and respond to any emails in my personal account... as soon as I try, Gmail crashes and force closes.

I have sent feedback (useless), restarted the app and phone; wiped cache and data for the Gmail app; deleted the personal account, rebooted the phone and set it up again. And it STILL crashes!

I'm open to suggestions, here...

Don't use the Gmail app myself but its Play Store page does indicate there was an update on Feb. 27th so that correlates with your thoughts on an app update probably being the problem.
    Not knowing how extensive the Gmail app's settings menu is, the only thing I can suggest is to use a browser to log into your personal account and dig through the Settings menu from there. If there's some filter you set up at one time or some developer's option enabled maybe that's the issue?

Reactions: Dannydet
    Upvote 0
    It's really confusing me... because after all that, it still crashes. However, it seems to only crash as soon as I open, and try to read, ONE email from ONE sender. Maybe there's something in the sender's email that completely boogers up Gmail on the receiving end. I deleted the email, resigned to my fate that they're not going to hear back from me, and life seems to go on.

We'll see if it happens again.

Upvote 0
    It's really confusing me... because after all that, it still crashes. However, it seems to only crash as soon as I open, and try to read, ONE email from ONE sender. Maybe there's something in the sender's email that completely boogers up Gmail on the receiving end.
    Just curious but when you do try to re-add this account to the Gmail app, are you using the auto-config set up? Maybe try to re-add it by manually entering those gmail account settings instead.
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones