• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail Hack Spam Emails!!

1967ls2

Apr 29, 2010
So I went out of town this weekend about an hour and a half down south (I live in San Jose CA). I had my phone plugged into the car charger and was using the navigation to get to my destination. When I arrived I saw that I had an error message in my banner drop down. I click on it and it says that there was a gmail sign in error of some sort. I click on it and instead of it asking me to re-log in with my email and password information it had a "Captcha" or whatever it is called when it asks you to verify or authenticate something by reading the letters and retyping them in the box below. I didn't think anything of it and went ahead and typed the letters in the box. Next thing I know I get like 3 weird emails with a bunch of BS stuff in them. I delete them and go on about my day. About an hour or so later I get an email from a friend of mine saying that she recieved some spam email from my email account probably with some embedded link or something in it. I immediately went home and changed my email password.

I also use CL a lot to sell stuff and currently have a listing to sell my 07 CBR 1000RR. I get a lot of spam emails back from their and just delete them instantly. You can tell when it's a spam email or a real person interested in your item. 99% of them also get sent directly to my spam folder in Gmail and get deleted instantly. Not sure if there is a correlation between that or not but I was also just surfing the XDA Developers forum and saw a thread with the exact same thing that happened to me described above.

Either way just thought I would throw it out there and maybe it will help someone reading this. Good luck..

Reactions: jbdan
thats weird because I woke up with the same notification on my screen this morning and my email attempted to send out virus attachments to all the "a" listings in my email contacts. Thankfully mailerdaemon stopped it and they didn't go through I was prompted to verify my account and had to enter a texted code and change my password so I dont know whats up. I did install a new rom over the weekend but I dont see it being that vicious, I did lose all of my paid apps when I flashed over, But to top it all off I live in San Jose as well so a bit ironic.

Upvote 0
thats weird because I woke up with the same notification on my screen this morning and my email attempted to send out virus attachments to all the "a" listings in my email contacts. Thankfully mailerdaemon stopped it and they didn't go through I was prompted to verify my account and had to enter a texted code and change my password so I dont know whats up. I did install a new rom over the weekend but I dont see it being that vicious, I did lose all of my paid apps when I flashed over, But to top it all off I live in San Jose as well so a bit ironic.

Yeah that's weird. Like I said above, I didn't do anything to my phone, email or whatever and was all of a sudden prompted by the error sign in thing and everything happened after that. Maybe something's up on Google's Gmail end or something...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones