• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GMail Is Your Best Bet To Sync Your Contacts List.

Ok, I switched from a Palm Pre to HTC EVO and never had anything sync'd to a gmail account so I set up a new gmail account and set up my EVO to sync my contacts to that account, however, after running a sync none of my contacts are showing up in Gmail. I was under the impression that EVO would dump all my contacts into Gmail, am I missing something here ?

having the same issue

Upvote 0
I have a gmail account but I much prefer to keep things simple with a sync between my phone and my Exchange account only for Contacts. It doesn't seem to be seamless right now, though. When I change something on my phone, it doesn't get updated in Outlook. And when I change something in Outlook it doesn't seem to be updating on my phone. Contacts only. The e-mail seems to be working fine. I think I've been through all of the menu options and I've been bouncing around on here trying to figure it out to no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Upvote 0
hi, the sprint store downloaded my contacts from my treo 755 to my new evo. i clicked sync now in settings to sync them to my google (gmail) contacts). everything has remained unchanged (list on phone is same as it was and google contacts list is same, none were merged or changed). can someone please help me get contacts synced to the cloud?

Upvote 0
hi, the sprint store downloaded my contacts from my treo 755 to my new evo. i clicked sync now in settings to sync them to my google (gmail) contacts). everything has remained unchanged (list on phone is same as it was and google contacts list is same, none were merged or changed). can someone please help me get contacts synced to the cloud?

bump for help on this

Upvote 0
Ok the problem is that when you transfer your contacts from one phone to a droid they are saved as "phone" and not google. I had sprint sync from a Pre to the Evo 4g. I don't see any way to change them to "google" so they will sync both ways so here is what I did. I saved my contacts to my memory card on my evo by opening the contacts and clicking "menu" then "import/export". I saved them to my card. I plugged in the card to my laptop and moved the file to my computer from the card and put the card back in my phone. I went into gmail contacts and clicked "import" on the right and found the file. Next I deleted all my contacts from my phone. Finally I went into my phones "accounts and setup" menu and resynced with google. The numbers came back to my phone and were saved as "google" so they sync both ways. Also new contacts should always be saved as "google" and not "phone". Warning: While doing this your numbers may get erased the first time off your phone and google but since you have the file saved you just import into google again and resync with your phone. I know this sounds complicated but it worked for me.

Upvote 0
Is there any shortcut transferring contacts from a Blackberry to the Evo?

Just did this. Using the BB sync program I exported the contacts to a CSV file. I entered one contact into gmail (using all fields available) and exported that into a CSV file. I opened both in Excel and copied all contact data, one column at a time, from the BB list to the gmail list. Where the BB list has separate first and last name fields the gmail list has an additional field that combines first and last so I had to write a formula to combine the two and copy/paste values before saving the file. Then import into gmail.

750 contacts in about 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
Sprint store put contacts on phone from Diamond but only 30 transfered out of 300, instead of waiting there for them to try and figure out what happened i just said i would do it my self. So i did it over Bluetooth. The only issue was that it linked everyone with the same last name so about 30 people were not transferred, so just went to myphone which is still active and found everyone who was deleted and added them in manually. So then tried to back up with gmail and ran into same problem as others here, the contacts are listed as phone so they don't sync. Did the delete method above and it worked but lost all the pictures with he contacts. So i decided to do an import of the same back up i used to import the contacts into gmail after I had already synced and this worked, back to the same state as before with face book and picture contacts, and now each contact says linked and is under both phone and gmail.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have a question for all you Android-experts. I am a late comer to the Android Platform having had WiMo phones for the last 10 years. I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around the whole multiple contact lists and calendars on my new EVO 4G. In the WinMo world you had one contact list and one calendar and it sync'd everywhere. So here is my dilemna. I have a work laptop running Outlook 2007 and Exchange so my phone syncs all my Contacts, Calendar items and E-mail just fine. (Good to this point). I also have a home PC running Outlook 2010 and I would like to be able to have those same contacts and calendar items sync'd with the phone/laptop so that if I make an update on any of the three, they all get updated. Wireless would be ideal, but I'm even open to a USB corded option for the home PC, because I really don't make many updates on it. 99% of the time the updates will happen on the Laptop or Phone itself. Is this possible? As of this morning I have 288 contacts in my "Exchange ActiveSync" list, 282 on my "Phone" list, 40 in my "Facebook" list and 0 in my "Google" list. What I originally thought of does not seem to be working in practice. In theory I thought if I link the "Phone" list contacts with the "Exchange" list counterparts those would sync with each other and then I could use the HTC Sync program which will sync my Outlook Home PC with the "Phone" list on the EVO (since this program will only recognize the "Phone" contact and calendar lists), but this isn't happening. Updates I make on the EVO or laptop to a contact (either in the "Exchange" list or the "Phone" list) do not update it's linked counterpart and therefore does not get updated by HTC Sync to my PC or via the Exchange server to my Laptop. The only updates that occur happen between my Laptop and the "Exchange" contact list on the phone and vice versa or if I make a change on my Home PC in Outlook and sync the device with HTC Sync then the corresponding contact in the "Phone" list gets updated but again the update does not feed to it's linked "Exchange" counterpart contact. (Confused yet?). Can anyone assist, or do I need to throw yet another list (Gmail) into the mix to resolve? HELP!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones