• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gmail issue since root

Go to settings, applications, manage applications, and 'clear data' for gmail.
Next time you open gmail, it will need to sync everything again.

If that doesn't work, use titanium backup and uninstall gmail. Reboot the phone. Go to market and reinstall gmail.

Ron

neither of these methods worked for me.

this is a gmail issue that I have been having for about 3 weeks. it comes and goes.

for whatever reason..gmail is occasionally not syncing. it does what the original poster said...it also will not delete emails on the gmail server...thogh they are deleted on the phone. it is really really hit or miss.

what i have started doing now (rather tha going to the desktop to view and delete the culprit emails) is going to the stokc mail app when the "ghost notification" is present. the emails dload jsut fine there and I delete them and the notification on gmail icon goes away.

I am just about ready to go to the stock email app as it works flawlessly. I have just become accustomed to using the gmail app

cliff notes...i am on fresh 3.3 and have the same issue...no real fix found. belief is that it is a server issue

Reactions: ovrrdrive
Upvote 0
I hate to revive a semi-old thread, but I just encountered this problem recently after restoring a nandroid backup. Every email I deleted on the phone would not sync to the server. I was able to fix it by just uninstalling the latest gmail update through manage applications, and letting it automatically reinstall. It seems to work just fine now. Apparently this sort of thing doesn't work for everyone. Mr. Ed, did you ever get gmail working correctly?

Reactions: ovrrdrive
Upvote 0
I had a similar issue on SteelH's rom. I doubt it was the roms issue but it has started when i used that rom.

When i got emails, i could open them, but they wouldnt register as opened when i checked my inbox online.
Also i could not send out.

I starting using the mail app for another email account i have, and it gave me the same problems.. I dont know why i couldnt send out, i have since switched roms though so i dont have the issue anymore

Upvote 0
Guys,

I am not sure if this is relevant for any of them. But i faced the same issue. Infact the issue in my case was due to the low internal memory. As soon as i cleared some application (uninstalled applications), Gmail, Gtalk and market, all fucntioned as if the issue never occured.
So just thought of sharing it with you so that someone might get benefitted out of it!! Hope it helped

Upvote 0
Guys,

I am not sure if this is relevant for any of them. But i faced the same issue. Infact the issue in my case was due to the low internal memory. As soon as i cleared some application (uninstalled applications), Gmail, Gtalk and market, all fucntioned as if the issue never occured.
So just thought of sharing it with you so that someone might get benefitted out of it!! Hope it helped

Upvote 0
I started having the exact same issue as of a few days ago:

1. inbox on phone is not deleting them from Gmail's servers - if I log on the web they are still there (And the phone inbox counter shows them too - just not on the phone screen).

2. Will not send outbound emails at all.

Rooted, Fresh 3.5 ROM, stock kernel. Last outgoing email was 12/25, about the time I had to do a restore after a botched 3.5 upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing the same issue and have been on/off for the past several weeks. I've tried everything listed in this thread but the issue seems to keep cropping up.

The latest thing I'm trying, which I found in Myn's thread at XDA, is to go to the settings within Gmail/Labels/Choose "Sync all" in both the Inbox and Priority Inbox settings (original setting for both was 4 days). Just tried this yesterday so not sure if it will work or not

I'm running Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS4 and since everyone here that has had the issue seems to be running different roms, my guess would be that it's Gmail sync related.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones