• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail issue

Hope someone can help. Got my Fascinate today and I've been able to set everything up well but ran into something that has stumped me with my gmail. I sent myself some emails with pictures attached so I could download them to use as my contact pictures. And yes, I am using the native gmail app.

After I was done, I deleted the messages and, knowing that you can't really empty the trash and permanently delete messages on the phone with gmail (a well known, well documented issue because the trash label does not sync), I signed into my account by computer and deleted the messages from the trash. Currently, on the server, I am showing no emails in any label. But, on the phone, the trash is still showing phantom download messages. I've tried sending them back to the inbox and re-deleting, but they don't show up at all by computer. Tried turning the phone off and on, but they still show in the Trash. I'm stumped. If they have been permanently deleted from the server, why are the still showing up in the phone's trash label?

Any ideas?

As far as I can tell, there are cases where the phone doesn't reflect the true inbox state. Since I have my set to something like only 1 days sync, this usually remedies itself once the clock rolls over...

Thanks. I will change the sync setting and see if that does the trick.

edited: I am a little concerned this may not do the trick since it appears to be the Trash that is the issue, but it is worth a try. I welcome other suggestions, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones