• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gmail lame horizontal scrolling

Yeah, its the current, most updated Gmail application.

Here is a few samples of how the emails in gmail look:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

This one, which was sent by someone on Craigslist, looks fine.
6.png

It has nothing to do with the emails themselves, if I look at the same email on my iPod, it displays perfectly, single column vertical scrolling...how do I fix my EVO?

Upvote 0
I get this once in a while, and based on the screen shots above, the cause is the same - a poorly constructed email body containing formatting or objects that force the body to a certain width that is wider than can be displayed on screen without scrolling.

I get the same thing here reading the forums sometimes on my laptop when a post contains a image that forces the entire page to be wider. When this happens, the text wraps at the new width, requiring horizontal scrolling to read everything. This is the primary reason I use Opera on my laptop - it's "fit to width" feature forces everything to fit on the screen, eliminating horizontal scrolling.

It even happens to me in Gmail on my laptop sometimes.

It's beyond me why Google hasn't come up with some rendering engine that deals with this.

Upvote 0
I downloaded an email program called K-9 Mail. It has an option called "Single-column layout: Reformat HTML messages for smaller screens"

Here is a picture of one of the emails I showed earlier, viewed in the new program:

8.png

Does ANYBODY know how to get gmail to show the emails like this...you know, correctly?

Upvote 0
you can use K9 to read gmail. You lose some abilities (such as labelling, unless I just missed it), but it works fine, especially if you don't like message threading :).
I don't want to use K9, I want gmail to function properly.

It is stupid on every level to have to scroll right and left to read sentences. It is an enormous oversight by Google if there is no fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones