• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gmail not getting notifications

Yesterday I was testing on a Maxx, Turbo, and Turbo 2. One of them did not show any incoming Gmail when I turned it on. I don't recall which.

I just sent a Gmail to them, turned them all on, they all had a notification.

In your Gmail app ... go to Settings and then go to the Gmail account you use. Is Notifications selected?

If that wasn't it ... perhaps you have a third-oarty app that is intercepting them? Try running in Safe Mode disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them. If it stops it was caused by an app thaqt you added.

... Thom

Upvote 0
FWIW Gmail seems very hit or miss lately. I don't know why, it may be a going from wifi to data and back again thing. Or not. I've not been getting notifications/email syncing for a while now. Clearing cache works only for a while then it stops again. There is something seriously wrong and it's not just a certain type of phone thing...

Upvote 0
Recently Google began rolling out a fix for syncing issues on Gmail. It mostly affected Nexus owners on Marshmallow, but it also affected Lollipop users and devices as well. I am betting that is your issue.

See http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...-over-the-next-week-no-app-updates-necessary/

I believe that the fix is in an update to Google Play Services that is rolling out. Play Services is updated automatically when it becomes available for your phone, even if you have automatic app updates turned off in the Play Store settings.

See also http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/642809-your-gmail-syncing-correctly.html for more Turbo users reporting this issue, going back a month.

I think one work-around may be to install another email client to check your Gmail account until this is fixed. I think that Microsoft Outlook is a decent, temporary alternative.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones