• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GMail not syncing..

WormDoes

Android Expert
Aug 8, 2010
Massachusetts
I noticed this was happening after I flashed xtrSENSE 4.2 a few weks back. I couldn't send or recieve emails on my phone. I went into the app and cleared cache/data and It works for a few minutes then back to normal. I've read through previous threads and have seen the same tips and tricks. Is anyone else having issues with their gmail? I'm not sure what else I can do besides re wiping (I don't think it has to do with the ROM I flashed so I'm not running to do this)

As always, thanks for the help :)

I noticed this was happening after I flashed xtrSENSE 4.2 a few weks back. I couldn't send or recieve emails on my phone. I went into the app and cleared cache/data and It works for a few minutes then back to normal. I've read through previous threads and have seen the same tips and tricks. Is anyone else having issues with their gmail? I'm not sure what else I can do besides re wiping (I don't think it has to do with the ROM I flashed so I'm not running to do this)

Did you go into (from home)

settings->accounts & sync->google account, turn off gmail syncing
settings->applications->manage applications
Clear data for both Gmail and Gmail storage
Back to settings->accounts & sync->google account, turn on gmail syncing

Upvote 0

I tried what you suggested, doogald, and my gmail still isn't syncing automatically. I used to have this problem with yahoo and I changed over to gmail because I was missing a lot of important emails. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I never have a number on my gmail icon when I receive an email. I've seen some people's screen shots and they get a "counter" on their app? Does this have anything to do with on another? Do you haver any other suggestions? Would calling tech support be usefull? I'm too busy throughout the day to manually sync my email so any advice/suggestions is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again

Upvote 0

HTC Hero.. I have been attempting to change my gmail password, and everything I read stated to go to "settings->accounts & sync->google account." But here's my problem, the 'accounts & sync' menu is missing under my settings menu. Can you please advise me how I can go about getting the 'accounts & sync' to show up in my Settings Menu? I know some hero out there can assist me, and I will greatly pay it forward for your assistance.

Upvote 0
HTC Hero.. I have been attempting to change my gmail password, and everything I read stated to go to "settings->accounts & sync->google account." But here's my problem, the 'accounts & sync' menu is missing under my settings menu. Can you please advise me how I can go about getting the 'accounts & sync' to show up in my Settings Menu? I know some hero out there can assist me, and I will greatly pay it forward for your assistance.

That's strange. Are you looking for that in the settings for the Gmail app itself, or from the settings app in home? (In other words, go to a home screen, press menu, choose "settings", or choose "settings" from the app drawer.)

Upvote 0
Exactly! From my home page, I click 'Menu->settings and 'accounts & sync are not an option. I have the following options under the settings menu and they are listed from top to bottom.

Personalize
Wireless controls
Call settings
Sound & display
Data synchronization
Social network
Applications
SD card & phone settings
Date & Time
Locale & text
About phone

Maybe it's time to upgrade to Android v2.2

Thank you for your speedy response!!!!!

Upvote 0
Just to ask the question, are you using an automatic task killer? If not, did you remove any built-in applications from xtrSENSE after you flashed the ROM?

I am using automatic task killer but keep gmail excluded from the kill list. The only programs I removed were stocks, footprints and amazon mp3 per zach's gscript.

Upvote 0
By any chance are you killing the GTalkService in ATK? Confusingly, Gmail (and the market) use that to communicate for push mail, etc.

I did have Talk in my ATK kill list. I had rebooted my phone and when I turned it on within 5 minutes I received 2 different sets of emails and it's been working fine ever since (knock on wood). That's good to know about Talk because I never use it and was going to remove it via Titanium Explorer next time I made a Nandroid. Thanks for your help, doogald, always greatly appreciated

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones