1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gmail Notification Fix

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by paulmz, Jan 29, 2012.

1. paulmz

paulmz Android Expert

I just received my new HTC Rezound the other day and found that it had the newest version of Gmail pre-installed. We all know that Google's Gmail update from last October broke all third-party notification apps (and, as far as I know, there was no fix for this, either).

After several failed attempts to root (I had temp root for about ten minutes and then it went away - haven't been able to get it back), I thought that I wouldn't be able to get rid of the stock Gmail app.

I have been holding onto Gmail version 2.3.4.1 on my Incredible and Samsung Galaxy Tab for months. So, I used Ultimate Backup to create a backup of the older Gmail, emailed the APK to my Rezound, and pressed "install". Sure enough, it replaced the new version with the old one!

So, after clearing the cache and the data for the Gmail app and then uninstalling-and-reinstalling SMS Unread Count, I now get Gmail notifications just like normal.

Hopefully I didn't just figure this out and "fix" the problem the hard way - I checked online and I couldn't find any other remedy. Definitely feel free to let me know if there is an easier way (not that this was difficult) or if Google fixed the problem and I just wasn't aware of it.

Anyway, if you don't have access to an older version of the Gmail app, I uploaded mine to Dropbox:

Gmail version 2.3.4.1

From what I understand, this is just the main APK and contains no data. Hope this helps others who have the same problem!

Oh, and don't forget to uncheck the "automatic update" box in the Market for Gmail after you do this.

Advertisement

GeoffBot and ilovefarts like this.
  2. ilovefarts

ilovefarts Well-Known Member

Thanks. I don't even use the features of the new gmail. I appreciate it.