• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail notification... Not

nvmichael

Aug 6, 2015
About a week ago all was well. Then the phone stopped all Gmail notifications. The light. The icon in the status bar, sound nothing. Nothing new added to phone. No changes. Phone and text are working.
I looked at settings and they look the same, no changes. I could be wrong...
Any ideas appreciated.

I haven't used the Gmail app in a while but check the Settings menu for a sync frequency option. And keep in mind if you have your phone polling Google's servers for new messages too frequently, your mail app is just working all the time using up background resources.
Another option is to switch to a different mail client app. A lot of people here on the Forum are big Aqua Mail fans. I prefer K-9 Mail, an Open Source project that's been around since Google bought up Android itself. Most third-party mail apps have more extensive settings options that will give you granular control of your email.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I sent an email to myself from a Ipad. It took 6 minutes for the phone to notify me. I got an email this morning and nothing happened until I turned the phone on (with imprint).
So I guess its kinda working? All else is instant.
Thanks again for your help.

Is this your gmail email or have you set up a different account using the gmail app?

You might also want to make sure you aren't turning off all network connections when the phone sleeps.

Upvote 0
I have an issue but the other way, it keeps notifying me and i some how can't turn it off, but as i have both gmail app and inbox app installed it actually said the other day; you have notifications from both apps, would you just like it from inbox?
(or something along those lines) i clicked yes and the notifications has decreased but still get loads as i have multiple emails in my gmail account...

Does anyone know how to control the amount of times the notification gets showed when the phone is looked? (so it lights up and you see you have a new message / mail ) from the beginning im almost sure i just saw it once, now i think i see it about three times per message..

Upvote 0
1.31 update. I updated the gmail app yesterday. This morning I received 3 emails plus I sent myself a test email annnd ta da all seems to be back to normal. I got the sound, the light and the icon. The test email was sent from my computer and the phone notified me within 3 seconds. Just like old times. I'm hoping the update was the fix. Lovin the 5X (again.)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
yeah maybe it is just some setting issue... but i can't find a setting that says "notification" or the amount of them.. but then again it is not only the email apps that does it but all messaging apps, Fb SnapC and whatsapp.. yes it is annoying but more i think it disturbs the phone from going into doze mode.. maybe i am wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones