1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gmail Notifications Not Working After 4.3 (Verizon)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BLACKTOOTHGRIN, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN Android Enthusiast

I updated to 4.3 last night and there are quite a few things I am irritated about.
    The biggest one right now is that I cannot get any notifications for Gmail to work.
    No Sound, No Vibrate, No Status Bar Notification, No LED Notification....Nothing.
    I've tried everything I can think of, and I'n not a Noob to Android by any means.
    Hopefully someone can help with something I've missed.
    Here's what I've done so far:

After the update I did a factory reset just to clean things up and start from scratch, so that's been done ahead of everything.
    I've made sure all the Sync boxes are ticked in both the Gmail App and in my Android Accounts section.
    I tried both boxes for Priority Mail or Default Mail n the Gmail App, neither worked.
    I've tried Syncing and UnSyncing, then Re-Syncing again...nothing.
    I updated the Gmail App....nothing.
    I tried clearing the Gmail Data and Cashe from the Application Manager...Nothing.
    I can still go into my gmail, and instantly it shows I have new mail, but No Notification will be pushed to my phone in any manner at all.
    I'm stumped.

Any Ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

First 4.3 or second 4.3? If that was the first one you got, it was the one that doesn't turn your phone into a Sprint phone (and that's about the only bug it doesn't have). Samsung issued a (supposedly) working update to the update. Your phone should work better after you get that.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN likes this.
  3. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

First 4.3
    I didn't realize there was already an update for 4.3.
    I'm on I545VRUEMJ7 right now.

Just checked, and sure enough there is. I'm downloading it now.
    Hopefully it takes care of this issue. (among others)
    I'm really angry about all the things 4.3 jacked up, but not getting email notifications is the one that pissed me off the most!:mad:

Thanks for pointing me in that direction Rukbat.
    I really never thought about checking for another update after just "updating". Jeesh.:rolleyes:

4. speedlever

speedlever Android Enthusiast

Another thing... are you using the stock launcher or a 3rd party launcher? Nova Prime needs a plugin for msg count balloons to show. That being said, I've lost my msg count balloons for GMail even before the update to 4.3.

5. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

I do use a 3rd party launcher, but never had that problem before.
    I don't use message count balloons though.
    I've always just let it give me a single notification.
    For me that's plenty.
    Just something to alert me that I need to go check my accounts.

Good point though! :)

6. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Did the update to 4.3, no luck.
    The update DID FIX that stupid Knox Warning that went off every time I connected WiFi though, so that was a Plus. :rolleyes:

I finally figured out the problem with the gmail a little while later:

My method of testing my gmail notifications in the past was always to just send myself an email from my phone.
    In The Past...that has always worked fine.
    Apparently something has changed either within gmail or in the 4.3 update because it just would not push that notification through doing it in that manner.

Later I just said screw it, and continued to set up my phone with my additional accounts.
    After I had y phone restored back to the way I wanted it, I thought about trying to send an email from one account to another. Cha-Ching! It notified in way that it should have. :D
    Going through all the settings and troubleshooting was really irritating after I found out that it had nothing to do with settings at all...but at least I finally figured it out. :rolleyes:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews