• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gmail on K-9

Hi. I'm new here. I have 2 hotmail accounts, a gmail account, and another account. After doing some digging it seems that the only IMAP IDLE or other push-email support for hotmail is if you have a BB. There was something about a new feature coming out with the next windows live update but that is a while away.

1. What I'm trying to do is get my gmail set up in K-9 with the IMAP IDLE. As I understand it this is near enough instant email delivery which is exactly what I need. I entered my details into K-9 using the automatic account setup. Is there a drawback to this? What about security like SSL/TLS? and authentication? And whats this about compression on Mobile/WiFi/Other networks?

I sent an email from my hotmail to test if IMAP IDLE was working. It took a 3 minute delay for both my desktop and phone to pick up the email.

I am running K-9 2.6 on a Hero 1.5

2. It is likely it was just the latency between email servers at peak time, but are there any steps I could take to tune K-9 into a leaner meaner email receiver? In the options I see 1st class folders, 2nd class folders, folders to check with push, other folder options, configuring ingoing/outgoing mail servers.

3. I understand that the 1st/2nd class are priorities but what do the above options mean for me?

4. I'm going to forward both hotmails to my gmail. Any ideas for a better setup? Or have they tried similar and had problems?

I am grateful for any help you can give with K-9 as info on how to get the most from it seems to be a bit thin despite it being a popular free and open source app. Thank you :)

Push should be "instantaneous" (I rarely see anything more than 20 seconds).

You can manually check the account settings, but I think K-9 does it just fine automatically.

I would use the newer k-9 builds, personally. Available at their website (2711 is current test build)

No need or benefit to "tune" the email push.

I would try to ween myself off of the hotmail accounts and move all the accounts to gmail. In the interim, forwarding will work just fine.

Reactions: jammy dodger
Upvote 0
Thank you nightfishing.

I have been having problems with imap idle. Only 2 out of 8 emails I've had so far have been recieved without manual refresh. This was while I've had signal with no drop-out and an open mobile internet connection. I'm struggling to figure out why they aren't coming through.
edit: all 10 emails since then have succesfully arrived on time. I guess the problem fixed itself, but I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it so it won't happen again.

Having flicked through my mobile's settings I've noticed that I have enable always-on mobile network unticked. However this is the default setting and I haven't had noticeable problems with internet on other apps before. I will try more experiments with imap idle when I have a chance, and play with the always-on setting. Any advice?

I have steered clear of the patches because one of the latest had a listed problem with imap idle. I will have a more thorough read of the update log later to see if the problem I'm having is featured as fixed in an update since 2.6. I am just worried of these 'beta patches' creating more problems than solving.

I am following your advice concerning hotmail :) In the past weeks I have been thinning my hotmail accounts for switching to gmail.

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones