1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Gmail on Rezound Not Receiving / Syncing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LovesDaisies, Nov 27, 2011.

1. LovesDaisies

LovesDaisies Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    I purchased an HTC Rezound a week ago through Verizon. I LOVE this phone and it has been working perfectly...up until today. This morning, I noticed that I had no emails in my inbox on my phone. I run email directly through the GMail app. When I checked my inbox on my computer, I had about 25 emails. The only thing I did differently last night was change my settings from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only then changed my power from high performance to "normal." I thought this might be the problem, so I turned the settings back to "LTE" and "High Performance." This seemed to work for awhile, but now I'm back to the emails not being received on the phone.

I've tried sending the emails from various other accounts. They arrive in my Gmail Inbox online, but aren't getting to the phone without me refreshing. After I have refreshed, then delete the emails, they don't delete automatically online without me refreshing online a few times. It's as if the Gmail app on the phone is not communicating with the main server at Gmail. Anyone else having this problem? Please let me know. I don't want to return the phone and I'm hoping this is an easy fix.

Incidentally, all of my push settings for Gmail are all set to automatically push, so that's not the problem.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I'm not familiar with Gmail but is it set up as a POP or an IMAP account? That may be why you're not seeing all your messages. What device did you use prior to the Rezound to receive your emails? Did you have any trouble with Gmail on that device? Oh and finally, I've found that it's best to set up an email account manually on the phone as opposed to using the designated account types in the mail setup.

Here's what I found for setting up Gmail on Outlook (should be roughly the same process)

LovesDaisies likes this.
  3. Helenoftroy08

Helenoftroy08 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    Not being insulting, I just dont know how new u r to android so Im gonna ask; after u changed ur settings back to LTE and High did u reboot ur phone? I would disable the fastboot option in settings and reboot to see if that helps! Also, u can always go to manage applications and force stop the gmail app and clear its data. Try the reboot first tho, and let me know if u need help doing so!

LovesDaisies likes this.
  4. soccermom17540

None

Nov 14, 2011
    Asst. Controller
    PA
    Also, did you go into Accounts & Sync and set up how often?

5. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    It's likely not your phone, but the Gmail update from 1-2 weeks ago. Check your inbox and priority inbox. Google did something that changed things and I really don't like it.

LovesDaisies likes this.
  6. LovesDaisies

LovesDaisies Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Thank you all for your speedy replies. To answer a couple of questions.

1. This is my second Android phone. I keep my phones a very long time, usually far into the 2 year contract period. My last phone was the original Motorola Droid with the slide-out keyboard. I never, ever had a problem with that phone. My emails always came through like clockwork, the Gmail on the phone communicated well with the Gmail server - I never had any problems. Prior to this I had every version of the Palm Treo ever made. :) I've never had a Blackberry or an iPhone. I have no desire to have an iPhone . I love my Android phones, and I really LOVED my Rezound. I just hope that it will love me back and stop acting up.

What I've done so far...

2. I rebooted three times since yesterday. I also turned off Fastboot (should I turn it back on? I haven't done so yet).

3. Yes, I did check my accounts & sync settings and it's set to automatically sync.

4. I went into my settings / manage applications / gmail and cleared my data, force closed the app, the resync'd everything.

5. I've turned everything back on to full power, thinking it was the economy setting that was messing up the email push.

All of this said, it's still not acting right. I've sent myself emails from my Gmail account, my Yahoo account and my work account. They all arrive in my online inbox instantaneously. But it takes anywhere from 8 seconds to 5 minutes for them to land in my phone. And it's sporadic. One test email from Gmail landed within 8 seconds. The next one I tried, didn't get to my phone email until 4 minutes later. Again, I've had my phone a week and this only started happening this morning AFTER I messed with the CDME/LTE settings.

Ugh. I finally got the screen protector on this phone bubble and dust-free. Please tell me I don't need to return it before my 14 day period is up. :-(

Oh...and TX Goat, I'm running my email through the GMail app that came with my phone, not through Outlook. I have a Mac and don't use Outlook. All of my contacts, calendar, everything are - and have been - with Google for a few years.

Thanks, all!

7. dimiterp

dimiterp Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    "I finally got the screen protector on this phone bubble and dust-free."

I would love to know how! I have gone through 6 protectors now and still can't seem to get it clear. I have used everything I know to clean the screan. It looks crystal clear, but then the protector always finds something!

8. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

Setting up the email manually in outlook is similar to setting it up manually on the phone, hence the reason I posted those instructions. All you really need is the POP/IMAP/SMTP settings as well as any designated ports. I'd try using just the regular mail app instead of the Gmail app and manually set up the email. There may be some issue with that Gmail app.

9. soccermom17540

None

Nov 14, 2011
    Asst. Controller
    PA
    I agree on the app. I think there may have been issues last night. Mine had synced fine the past 10 days and then last night was having issues - all is fine now

10. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm having an issue with this, too. Sometimes the emails do seem to come in, though. I just don't get a notification.

11. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    I ended up running both my email accounts thru the HTC mail app. Both of my accounts are setup as exchange, including Gmail.

The only issue I have with the Gmail app is when I get new mail, I do not see the number badge on the app on the homescreen. Other than that, I actually like the HTC mail app better.

12. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Another thing to take into consideration, if you're connected to your email server with a computer, it typically gets priority over a mobile device so seeing it on your phone a few minutes later isn't too uncommon, (especially if it's an Email about tacos outside Bill's office, and yeah Eric DOES give me the creeps :p ....sigh I watch too much TV I guess). And then you also have to take into account that wireless will most likely have some latency that a dedicated network connection won't have to contend with.

13. LovesDaisies

LovesDaisies Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    First, LOL, TX Goat. That commercial cracks me up. And yes, I do expect SOME lag time, but my old trusty Droid was always pretty true to server. Like I said earlier, I never had any problems with it.

Regarding the HTC email...what I DON'T like about running Gmail through it is that it doesn't stack my messages as they are stacked in Gmail, nor does it show all of my folders that that I have my mail sorted in through Gmail. I do a lot of sorting, so I sort of need access to them.

The email worked fine last night, but again today...SLOOOWWWWW. Since I see others were having problems, too, maybe it is the app and not my phone. Which I hope isn't the case, because as I said, I got the darned screen protector on bubble and dust-free - I'm not wasting 5 more screen protectors to do that again! LOLOL.

And you asked how I did it...LUCK! The key was slowly removing the plastic backing on the protector as you roll it on the phone. And while you're rolling it, you literally have to blow the dust off your phone underneath. I'm sure it looked hilarious to watch me doing it, but it worked! I don't have one speck of dust! That is a first! And it only took 5 protectors to get it right!

Anyway, I'll keep hoping that this problem clears up. Like I said, it seems others are having this problem now, too. So maybe it's not just me.

14. TheXFactor

None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    At the bottom of HTC is a threaded view folder. If you touch the menu when in HTC mail, there are options you may have not noticed before. :)

15. lvrzhn

lvrzhn Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    I have the same problem. Both my HTC mail app and Gmail app stopped receiving mail this morning at 7. I just now erased the Gmail app and rebooted but to no avail. What could I do to receive email on this phone again? This is ridiculous.

16. Dukins

Dukins Member
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    indiaNAPolis
    When you change your settings from "perfomance" to "normal" it reduces synching from push to virtually non-existant, the specific terms and meaning of each power setting is explained in the user manual.

pwalt likes this.
  17. pwalt

pwalt Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I should read that! I've been wondering the same thing that LovesDaisies has been wondering.

My last phone was an HTC Imagio (WinMo 6.5) and I would get the ding of new mail on my Exchange server almost before my computer (which is hard wired to the server)! Now, it doesn't seem to ding or do anything unless I wake it up first.

I'll have to return to my female roots and read the instructions! ;)

18. recmac

recmac Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2011
    I just bought an HTC rezound, which I "was" loving as well but today, this afternoon in particular, my YAHOO email stopped working but my active exchange email for work is just fine! I've checked all settings, I've deleted the account and re-did it, nothing has worked............... HELP!

recmac:thinking:

19. TheXFactor

None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    With the Gmail app, why don't the number of unread messages show up on the icon like they do on the HTC mail app?

Tags: