1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Gmail Problem after rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by murzz, Oct 12, 2011.

1. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Edinburgh
    Before rooting, my Gmail App would inform me imediatley of a new mail by way of notification on the staus bar and by an audible alert. Now after firing CM7 on i have to open the Gmail App to receive my mail.
    Have been into Menu>more >settings>send and receive>set download frequency, but their is no >send and receive>set download frequency that i can see. Gratefull for any more help you guys could come up with.
    Cheeers

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The Gmail app uses Push now (as opposed to pull before), so the send and receive settings are probably irrelevant. What it technically means is the gmail server will send the email to your handset when it arrives as opposed to your handset asking for new mail at predefined intervals.

For whatever reason though, you need Autosync on for this to work. Settings -> Accounts & Sync

Is Autosync activated?

3. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Edinburgh
    Xyro, Prez can you delete this thread if you think appropriate. Typical as soon as i post i figure out how to get it working Menu >settings >accounts and sync>pick gmail account>sync gmail accout was unticked:eek:

Still cant see where send and receive>set download frequency is though:thinking: but, hey mail now working:D

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Ah, yes. This always seems to happen on new flashes of CM7, for some reason.

Emails are pushed upon receipt to your phone by the server - your phone never has to check in with the server, hence why there's no option to set how often it checks in.

I won't delete this, I'm sure others will wonder the same in the future. It took me a little while to realise what was up with gmail when it happened to me, certainly.

5. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Edinburgh
    Another:rolleyes: thing i cant figure, is how to change the message alert tone. I love Yoda's "message from the darkside", but its got me beat on how to change it. I go in to the default profile and pick gmail then notification sound, pick Yoda and select but it still doesn't appear when my mail comes in:mad:

6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Settings -> Sound -> Notification Ringtone, you'll need to set it there too iirc.

7. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Edinburgh
    Spot on mate. Sorted
    Cheers