• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail problem

Hi,
I have a problem with gmail :( Or rather with the app. I noticed I hadn't got emails I was expecting so checked on the PC and there they were. Run a few tests and basically, my gmail app shows unread emails in the counter, but hasn't updated the actual email list for at least a day :( Thinking about it, it may not have worked since I updated the firmware on Sunday...
Any ideas anyone? Be a bit of a pisser if my first official upgrade broke it... Wouldn't exactly surprise though :p

I have shut down and restarted, and yanked the battery...:thinking:

Is the Gmail app supposed to cache? Mine doesn't seem to (and neither does the Gmail Storage app).

Not sure if this relates to your problem, but one issue I have noticed in the past (though I am not sure if it still exists in IK5) is that the Switchers' Auto sync does not always reliably cause the phone to sync. Turning sync on through Switchers will turn it on in Settings, but for some reason it does not seem to actually activate it. However, manually turning it on in Settings always works.

Upvote 0
hmm, mine had cached about four meg, don't remember what storage was at but a few hundred k i think.
the activesyncesque symbol was on my top bar so i assume sync was on. plus it monstered my battery :-D was reporting no connection errors whilst i clearly had good 3g...
all working as should now so appears cache clear sorted it :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I think I've encountered a similar (not yet resolved) problem. On the HTC hero folder I've posted the message below, but you might be able to help, so I hope.

Also, everyones talking about auto-sync, there is no such option on my phone in my gmailsettings, or perhaps that has to do with the language setting.... there is one in the GENERAL settings of my HTC (settings --> data syncronisation --> google --> automatic sync), but I don't know if that's the one that everyone's talking about. I assume that in a gmail thread people are talking about the setting of the gmail application.

Anyway, here was my post, I hope you can help out.

Hello everyone,

I've got the weirdest problem ever with my HTC Hero.

The gmail application does not refresh automatically so as to fetch incoming e-mail. Even worse, it doesn't even do that when I manually do that (menu --> refresh)

There is one situation: If I change one of the settings for
Labels ("description = select which labels are syncronised") it does fetch e-mail from my inbox, but only if I manually refresh.

It doesn't make any sense that my gmail application can only fetch new mails after a (random) modifcation in my settings. I would like my gmail to refresh .... well.. as often as possible and automatically, since I will not know beforehand when someone has sent me a mail.

For the moment my label settings are as follows:

days for syncronisation: 1 day

labels
inbox: syncronise for all items
with star: syncronise for all items
eehh. well actually all my folders are "syncronise for all items"

Thanks for your help people!!!

Upvote 0
If I go to the general settings of my Hero --> data syncronisation --> google --> tap gmail off and then on again I do see the rotating arrows, but there is still no refresh in my gmail. There is an e-mail missing that IS in my gmail.

Also, now I see, that when I tap gmail and agenda off and then on a again, I do see the rotating arrow (though that doesn't lead to the desired result of getting my new mail), but when I do the same for "contact" it tell me that there was an error synchrosing the contacts. I don't know if this is related or if that's a whole other issue.

One more thing: did do the firmware updated (I don't exactly remember when), but I did not used to use the gmail application so I wouldn't know, if the problem is related to the firmware update. I do remember that I when I did it, it refused my e-mailadress a few times (you have to fill in you gmail to be able to make use of the application) but since that he accepted it later, I figure this is not an issue anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones