• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail Protected

TheIcon

Lurker
Aug 24, 2010
Just purchased my android captivate from at&t. So please take it easy on me :) So far love it. However I have a question about Gmail or mail in general. I did a search but couldn't really find an answer.

Is there a way to keep someone from just picking up my phone while its open and selecting my gmail app and reading all my email? Seems very insecure. I have multiple email addresses but don't want to put them on the phone if any of my friends can pick it up and read them with no password or anything at all.

I know that is the simple answer and I do most occasions but we all forget sometimes and those sometimes always seem to be when some unwanted hands get on phones :) Wasn't sure if there was any other security on the phone yet or not.

Seems like once you get past swiping your finger around on the screen to unlock it you have unlimited ability to all aspects of ones life.

Upvote 0
I know that is the simple answer and I do most occasions but we all forget sometimes and those sometimes always seem to be when some unwanted hands get on phones :) Wasn't sure if there was any other security on the phone yet or not.

Seems like once you get past swiping your finger around on the screen to unlock it you have unlimited ability to all aspects of ones life.
You can also set auto-lock to lock automatically after a set time. Security is a necessary pain in the rear.

Upvote 0
If you already have Tasker (which probably don't, being new and all) you could have it pop up a numeric password prompt when certain apps become active. It is also possible to have it only ask for the password the first time the app is active each time the screen is on, so it you were switching back and forth between two apps you wouldn't be constantly asked for the password.

I'm about as pro-Tasker as anyone can get, but even I wouldn't recommend buying Tasker exclusively for this purpose. But if you already have it, it's probably worth a look.

Upvote 0
Just purchased my android captivate from at&t. So please take it easy on me :) So far love it. However I have a question about Gmail or mail in general. I did a search but couldn't really find an answer.

Is there a way to keep someone from just picking up my phone while its open and selecting my gmail app and reading all my email? Seems very insecure. I have multiple email addresses but don't want to put them on the phone if any of my friends can pick it up and read them with no password or anything at all.

I think, first of all, I would try and find better, more trustworthy, friends.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones