1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Gmail Push Notifications?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chowanec, Apr 20, 2011.

1. chowanec

chowanec Newbie
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems with the push notifications in gmail? I can only get email if I manually "refresh" from within the gmail app. I've removed the battery, rebooted the phone, etc. I don't think I changed anything in the settings -- and when I looked for what I could change nothing obvious popped up.

Any ideas? Sort of sucks to have to check for checking for email. :p

Thanks.

-Chow

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    It might be the battery mode your using. I am using the maxium battery savior mode, which turns off all data after 15 min. After screen time out. (Even though I have my e-mail settings set to fetch new e-mails every 4 hours.) If you are using this power savior mode, switch to Night time mode, and see if that works.

3. iPhail

iPhail Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    I know what you are talking about and it is really annoying. If you go to settings>accounts>[youremail] there should be a checkbox to turn sync on for that account. Make sure that is checked.

The next step is to make sure that you have sync on. If you put the 'Power Control' widget on your home screen you can see if this is on or not. Its the circle with the arrows http://andersentechwiki.net/objects/external_sites/iSync-icon.png

If that doesnt work it may be something with your data. Check settings > data manager. Something may be blocking gmail from accessing the internet without a manual refresh.

lilymomma likes this.
  4. nemesiz

nemesiz Member
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    I am having the same issue lately.. Gmail doesn't push.. It works if I manually go into Gmail and hit refresh.. Tried clearing gmail data cache, uninstalling and installing latest update etc. Anyone with ideas?

5. doom

doom Lurker
    None

May 12, 2011
    The gmail notification is down for me as well. It looks like its a big problem with a number of people. If you look at the comments in the market it's happening to quite a few people. I have had notification problems for almost a month now.

6. nemesiz

nemesiz Member
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Actually, mine was resolved almost immediately. In my case I had accidentally removed the sync option and I then removed the power control widget as well. So I didnt know it was "off". You can check if the data sync is "On" in the power control widget. Jus my 2 cents.

7. pinyata

pinyata Lurker
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    just used the power widget to turn sync on, solved my problem.

thanks to forum people for posting this.

8. Dappleby

Dappleby Lurker
    None

Nov 19, 2011
    Hey all,

I'm a new android user and have been having the same problem of gmail not sending me email notifications.

I just fixed the problem, or so it seems. I had to log in to my gmail account on my computer (or via the web, not the app), go to Settings, then Forwarding and POP/IMAP, then Enable IMAP.

Once I did that I get notifications for emails pretty quickly. However, now I am getting two notifications per email, one from gmail app, and one from my Samsung email app. I think there are other threads that address that problem though.

Hope that helps.

9. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    That's because you have it configured in both apps. You only need it in one app. Think about it, 2 apps checking the same account, you get an email, both apps see it, both apps alert.....

Remove it from the Samsung app, or remove the Gmail app.