• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail quoting annoyance

ElusiveByte

Dec 21, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that the Gmail app for Android aggressively tries to remove quoted text from emails and actually removes text that was supposed to be there; that wasn't a quote?

I receive a lot of emails from this forum (subscribing to threads), and from other sites like Facebook. These emails are generated by software and contain the same text in every email.

For example, messages from this forum look sort of like this:

<someone> has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - <blah blah> - in the T-Mobile G1 forum of Android Forums.

This thread is located at: <link>

Here is the message that has just been posted:

<Quote of what the person said. Varies, obviously.>

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

Unsubscription information:
Gmail will stack these emails together as if they are replies to each other. (Which they are not). The Gmail app sees that the intro text with the link is the exact same as the last email (because it's the same person replying to the same thread). So it colors it purple, truncates it, and adds "..." to let you know it truncated it. And it does the same thing with the part of the email after the quote of what the person said.

So now I can't click on the link in this email because it's being hidden!

Even the full Gmail app thinks the text at the bottom is the "quoted text" and hides it. It's really annoying. But at least with the real Gmail app you can click on "Show quoted text" to read it if you want. And the part at the top will not be hidden at all.

But the Android Gmail app makes it impossible to read it! So I have to open the first email in the thread (and there are often many from Facebook in such a "thread") to click the link so I can go to the page.

Facebook emails end like this:

To see the comment thread, follow the link below: <link>
I can always see the link because Gmail still shows a fair number of characters before cutting it off, but the link is purple and not clickable! It's obnoxious.

I imagine that this would also be a problem if you received a reply from a friend where he mixed in his replies with your original questions. Gmail might hide so much text that you don't know the context of the responses. I just want to see all the text of the reply unless the reply contains the entire quoted message at the bottom in which case it could hide it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones