• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail repeatedly crashing phone/Warranty support clarification

tebower

Nov 1, 2009
I am on my third exchanged phone for a variety of reasons. I have a 41/09 device that is repeatedly crashing whenever I try to compose an email with the native gmail app. I have duplicated it over and over again.

There is a lot of debate as to whether these crashing phones are experiencing a hardware or a software problem. This seems like a software problem, and could be related to how the new 2.0 OS deals with memory, etc. I would like to think that an software update would fix it. There is no doubt that Verizon and Google are aware of the high number of phones that crash software.

Problem is, I bought my phone at Walmart, and they are about done with my replacement requests. My store and the next closest store who sells Verizon is out of the Droid. I bought my phone on December 6, so I'd like clarification on what happens when Walmart's 30 days of support ends.

On December 6, can I take my Droid to a VZW corporate store and get a warranty replacement without any issues? I don't want to get a hard time because I bought it at Walmart. Someone has to honor the warranty, right?

So, I called my local corp. store, and they said that if they had any "certified like-new" replacements in stock, they would be able to give me one, despite the 30 day Walmart time period. They just could not give me another brand new phone. The store advised me to call 611, which I did, and the helpful tech confirmed my issue, even being able to recreate the issue after a master reset. He offered me the option to buy an brand new phone for $299, which would then be credited back after they received my defective one back, but I would have to pay up front. OR, and the option I took, I could have a like-new refirb shipped today. He said that the refirbs come straight from Motorola. With all the returns/exchanges I know are going on, I am sure that a refirb from Moto is probably a better bet then getting another lemon! It should be here Friday. Fourth time's a charm!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones