• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail through the stock "Email" app is superior to the "Gmail" app?

dabomb224

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
I have been reading up on the concept of push email, and how it's supposed to be a huge battery saver (since in theory, the phone would only receive a notification of an e-mail, and not the actual e-mail itself). I have also been reading up on how the "Gmail" app's version of Push email is not the same as other Push e-mail software, in that it requires the phone to "Sync" whenever an e-mail hits the Gmail server. As a result, whenever I would try to turn Auto Sync off (supposedly to save battery), I would no longer be able to get my e-mail notifications in real time.

With this in mind, I attempted to find another application that would enable me to use Push email for my Gmail account, without having to "Sync" with Gmail's server. After messing around for a bit, I found that I could manually input my Gmail account info (Incoming Server, Outgoing Server, Username, Pass, Etc.) into the stock "Email" app that comes with the X. Once this was done, I was able to enable "Data Push" in the "Email" app's Settings menu (as well turning off any Polling intervals). By doing this, I was able to receive new Gmail notifications through the "E-mail" app, even when Auto Sync had been turned off. As a bonus, I received them around 15 seconds faster than I did with the "Gmail" app's version of Push.

Now here's where my lack of an in-depth understanding of Push email comes into play. Have I just come up with a completely equivalent method of using Push email with my Gmail account, without any benefits over the standard "Gmail" app? In other words, does this method of Push email use the same amount of battery as the original, "Gmail" app variant of Push email? It had occurred to me that Auto Sync might only apply to the 3 Google features (Contacts, Calendars, Gmail) as well, which would mean that turning it off wouldn't really save too much battery.

I did try to test this method of utilizing Push email out with "Background Data" turned off as well, but I found that it would not work. Does turning off Background Data disable ALL push notifications? If not, I would definitely like to try to find a way around this, as turning Background Data off would definitely make a world of difference in preserving battery life.

Please weigh in on this and let me know your thoughts. Thanks everyone.

They're both pretty much the same. They both receive a ping letting them know they're is email in the inbox at which point they both would poll the inbox. This is push email. Pull email is where the email inbox polls the inbox blindly based on a time basis (Ie. 5, 10, 30 minutes). Neither way will save you more battery or be easier. I use the native app just because all my GMail folders sync to it and it supports labels, stars, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones