• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail won't allow to respond to calendar invites

Phazon

Aug 16, 2010
Hi

I've searched for a solution to this problem and cannot find it. As I understand it since a Gmail update at the end of last year this should work. So why isn't it for me?

I have both an iPhone and Oneplus One. On the iPhone in the Gmail app, ANY calendar invite that is received to my Google Calendar shows as an invite and gives yes/no buttons to respond to it.
iOS Gmail invite.jpg

But in Android in the official Gmail app, if the invite is from Outlook I just get a blank email, with no ICS let alone yes/no options.
Android Gmail invite.jpg

From Google Calendar, I get weblinks and it takes me to a browser version of the calendar
Android invite from gmail.jpg

I cannot get my head round this, how can it be that the iPhone app by default has simple yes/no/maybe buttons that work in the email without jumping to any other app, but on Google's own phone it seems to have a problem with such a basic feature?

Please help, driving me mad!
crying.gif
Is this the same for everyone else? Is there something I can do to fix this?

Cheers

Thanks Dave. Yeah I tried that already but because I'm getting blank emails with no ICS that plugin doesn't work

I've discovered that a calendar app called Cal shows you any pending invites, so when you get an invite in the mail you can go to Cal and easily respond there. Not very seamless, but better than what's happening now.

So Dave, how do invites work for you, like the iOS app? Or do you just not use invites so don't see the problem?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones