• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GN8 Gallery Data Eating Up Drive Space

EnzoS

Sep 8, 2013
The Android Gallery app data (Settings/Device Storage/Applications/Gallery/Data) in our GN8 keeps growing. It gets about 50Mb larger each time the tab is turned on or restarted. It doesn't grow while the tablet or Gallery application is in use and overall data usage doesn't increase either.

Here's what I've found...so far:

• Wi-Fi data consumption does not increase. This would be important if this were happening on a smartphone...3G or 4G data cap considerations.
  • Sync is turned OFF...everywhere. All syncs are turned off for Google and Samsung accounts, email, internet, etc.
  • Google+ and Picassa apps have been turned OFF. Accounts were never created for either one.
  • The only Gallery settings (Wi-Fi OFF) are for Tag Buddy and Face Tag. Both have been turned OFF.
  • Clearing the Gallery data starts the process all over again. Each subsequent cold boot or restart of the tab results in about a 50Mb increase of the Gallery data...NOT Wi-Fi data consumption. Clearing the Gallery data also resets Tab Buddy and Face Tag settings to default.
I'm starting to think this is some sort of Google-related Gallery pix auto-backup feature. But considering those apps that may be affected by syncing or backing-up of photos are turned OFF, why is this happening at all???

How can it be stopped/prevented?

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure your explanation is exactly correct, however. I've been chasing this problem for a few months now and I haven't added any pictures since the third week of December. I have to agree with you that this has to be some sort of a "scan" of the tablet but the addition of around 50Mb each time the tablet is turned on just doesn't make sense.

If a "scan" happens each time the tablet is turned on (or restarted), just where are the results of this scan being stored and what can be done to stop it???

You said: "The results of a folder of pictures that includes itself would get larger every time a scan is run (which is when you turn the tablet on)." I don't quite understand what you're saying here. To further clarify my description of the problem, the contents of the "Gallery" does not increase with each subsequent startup of the tab...only the size of the "data" associated with the app increases in size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones