• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gnex and Rezound

I have had the GNEX since day 1. I also had a BB Bold. So when the Rezound deal came up I decided to use it to get both on Android and to compare apples to apples. Here is what i found. The GNEX radios on 4.0.2 are not even close to the Rezound radio for reception. Side by Side in some spots you can dial with the Rezound and no way with the GNEX. Gnex audio is way low compared to Rezound. Again not close. All these issues are supposed to be known and fixed with the upgrade of ICS to 4.0.4 or 5. We shall see. If software does not fix them then it is definitely a hardware issue. Now that i have something close to compare it too it makes it much easier to see and detect what and if there is a problem.GNEX has a problem and the whole world knows it. Now lets see if VZW,Google or Samsung can solve it. I like both phones. Both are very close. I do like ICS better than 2.3.4.It is easier to use and has many more features.Still room for improvement but a step in the right direction.

I have the gnex myself and I rooted it. This allowed to flash the liquid rom and the 4.0.4 radios. The rom fixed my volume easily and the radios fixed my data. I no longer have data drops now. Plus with the rom I get better battery life. Oh if you don't want to root you can fix your volume problem with volume + in the market. You can get the full version for free at the developers website. It works great.

Upvote 0
I bought the nexus to root it. i knew about the radio issues and volume issues. i was on the 4.0.4 radios and 4.0.3 ROM on day 3 and really have no complaints about the phone. it gets slightly worse signal than my thunderbolt did (after its 5 radio updates) but i almost never drop signal, and have never, not been able to make a call. For me, this is hands down, the best phone on the market...no question in my mind.

Upvote 0
Why should I have to root the phone to get this. I paid the money I should get the services without having to void my warranty.
With great power comes great responsibility.

But seriously, you are merely falling victim to the classic rule that all rules are made with the lowest common denominator in mind, not everyone else. Hence, you must root because the lowest common denominator cannot be trusted.

Upvote 0
Now that i have a new Rezound to go with the NEX I can wait for the update as you can use the Rezound as a phone. The NEX just needs a little work which VZW is always later to the party on due to the fact they need to launch a new phone to create buzz. Why worry about onesalready launched when you can jusr launch a new one and all the problems move to another area.Good business plan. Someday when they do not have the monopoly they have now in most areas,not cities the profits will dip and then the fixes will come fast and furious. With great competition comes great products and customer service.

Upvote 0
Look how well RIM parlayed their big mobile phone lead into probably merging with someone to save the company. You are only as good as your last phone. Blackberry is dead as a mobile phone to a decade of new smart phone users due to their thinking that if we just keep it as it is they will still buy it. In todays business cycle it does not work that way. ?Here today gone tomorrow.

Upvote 0
If you are having phone signal connectivity issues (as in dropped calls, not being able to make calls as you detailed in original post), then you probably need to try a GNex swap or just get rid of the phone. The overwhelming majority of "signal" complaints with the GNex are data related (data drops, poor handoff, not holding 4G or getting 4G at all), not voice related. Poor 1x signal for voice is just not cool and also not "normal" for the Gnex or any other phone for that matter.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, you can't say that just because a software update doesn't fix a problem means the problem is hardware related. It could be that it is still fixable in software, it just wasn't fixed with the software update, either by choice or by fault.

I owned the Rezound for 5 weeks and can say that in 95% of the same locations, I had/have identical signal strength (on 3G) and data connectivity and performance on (3G and 4G). The only place my Nexus doesn't get 4G consistently is at my workplace. The Rezound managed to hold on to the signal with speeds around 5-8 Mbps while the GNex drops back to 3G 98% of the time. These comparisons are also true in my experience with my GNex compared to other 4G phones as well, including the Charge, Thunderbolt, and Razr.

Upvote 0
If you are having phone signal connectivity issues (as in dropped calls, not being able to make calls as you detailed in original post), then you probably need to try a GNex swap or just get rid of the phone. The overwhelming majority of "signal" complaints with the GNex are data related (data drops, poor handoff, not holding 4G or getting 4G at all), not voice related. Poor 1x signal for voice is just not cool and also not "normal" for the Gnex or any other phone for that matter.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, you can't say that just because a software update doesn't fix a problem means the problem is hardware related. It could be that it is still fixable in software, it just wasn't fixed with the software update, either by choice or by fault.

I owned the Rezound for 5 weeks and can say that in 95% of the same locations, I had/have identical signal strength (on 3G) and data connectivity and performance on (3G and 4G). The only place my Nexus doesn't get 4G consistently is at my workplace. The Rezound managed to hold on to the signal with speeds around 5-8 Mbps while the GNex drops back to 3G 98% of the time. These comparisons are also true in my experience with my GNex compared to other 4G phones as well, including the Charge, Thunderbolt, and Razr.

Same exact experience as me.

Upvote 0
Why should I have to root the phone to get this. I paid the money I should get the services without having to void my warranty.

i agree completely. you shouldn't have to do this. but if you want to keep the phone, and use it, you are going to have to. if you dont want to, return the phone, simple as that.

and FWIW, i can return my phone to completely stock without anyone (besides myself) knowing for warranty purposes. it would literally take me about 10 minutes to do it.

Upvote 0
I had the Rezound for a little over 2 months and I really liked the phone. In my opinion, the Rezound is the best stock device on VZW right now. I like Sense, I liked the look and feel of the phone, the signal strength, the sound, the performance. I really thought it was an amazing device.

With that being said, I ended up selling the Rezound and scooped up a GNex on craigslist. I almost immediately rooted it and I'm loving it. As a stock device, I actually preferred the Rezound, but when the GNex is rooted it's sooo much better.

I hope this helps in your comparison.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones