1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GNEX vs HTC Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 335iRobot, Dec 26, 2011.

1. 335iRobot

335iRobot Newbie

My brother and I were at our grandparents for the holidays and we were next to each other when he asked to see my phone. His HTC Thunderbolt had 2-3 bars of 4G showing and my GNEX showed 2-3 bars of 3G showing. So I figured maybe the OS was reporting the signal wrong and we ran the Speed Test app.

The test on the GNEX showed an inconsistent speed around 1.4mbps down and .75 mbps up.

The test on the Thunderbolt showed a consistent speed of 9 mbps down and 7 mbps up.

This was disheartening.. has anyone heard anything about the radio in our phone and if there is some software issues in terms of reception?

:(

GalaxyNexus likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

i never got higher than 7 down at my house with my thunderbolt. with my GNex, i can regularly hit speeds of 12-15 down. seems to me like signal issues vary greatly from one place to another. that being said, we will definitely see a new radio file with the next update... and probably several more after that. as an early adopter, you have to be willing to ride out the initial issues. this is the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge of technology.

WormDoes and GalaxyNexus like this.
  3. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast

According to Verizon, your Galaxy Nexus is displaying the signal wrong and there's nothing wrong with the radio..... Enjoy your 1mb 4g LTE speeds.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  4. 335iRobot

335iRobot Newbie

Don't get me wrong.. I have tested on 4G before I was getting 18.61 up and 10.08 down at home.. this was just further into the Phoenix metro area and I was surprised he was at 4G and better speed than my phone.

I have the screenshot of the 4G test at home just havent posted it yet.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  5. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast

I was being sarcastic. My phone has terrible reception but Verizon said its fine and its just faulty signal display.

Bad reception is bad reception regardless of how many bars they show you. Watch Verizon sneak a radio in on the next update.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  6. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

Why would OS report 3G or 4G wrong? Your Gnex was on 3G, so you got that kind of data speed. Gnex just seems to drop to 3G more often than others in weak areas because it reads LTE signal strength with certain threshold set for switching to 3G. This can be addressed with software update.

I only have Gnex so I can't compare with other LTE phones myself. But when it's on 4G, the data speed is blazing fast.

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I came from the TB to the GN and for me the signal has been better on the GN. As SO said issues will be worked out over time. Radios will come with OTA updates and that will help, in fact some test radios leaked out last week and have received mixed reviews

SolidOrange likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews