• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Go back to stock

SavageRobot

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
This is probably a pretty stupid question, or one I should at least know the answer for, just don't want to risk doing something slightly wrong and bricking.
Currently running Genysis 3.4. Want to go back to stock and perhaps stay on that for a while before upgrading to 3.5 or 3.6 if that's released by then. But what is the best way to go back to stock? Should I just follow http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/development/stock-h815-20b-images-flashables-kdz-t3257544 or is there a simpler and safer way I should do? I've seen LGUp been suggested about but never used it and I can't see the H815-20B.kdz in the download links I've seen.

Also with relation to kernels, what is the benefit of flashing say SuperXE Iv'e seen all over the place? I know that with custom kernels you can tweak the clockspeed etc for better battery/performance but is there any other benefit? I don't know what I'm doing with all that stuff so probably best I don't tinker with it. Besides, I now and then get random reboots / crashes on stock kernel with no tinkering so I think it's best I don't play, or is it?

I missed this, sorry. :(

When it comes to using a tool vs using recovery/manual flashing, recovery/manual flashing wins out every time.

Some of the biggest panics I've had when messing about have been using ftf's on Sony devices or RUU's on HTC's or the Nexus Root Toolkit.

With flash tools, I have no control over what's being done, no idea what it's doing and if it fails, no idea what stage it failed at. If I use recovery or manual commands, I'm in charge and I can see what's happening. I'm also less pissed off because I know the fault must lie with something I've done. not someone else.

Fwiw, I just updated using the zip files linked here and it worked no problem. Forgot to factory reset beforehand so my phone threw a bit of a skeppy when I booted in to Marshmallow!

All of the AOSP ROMs seem a little buggy at the moment so I'm going to wait a couple weeks and stick with Genysis until then.

Upvote 0
Thanks. So going back to normal stock from Genesys I just need to reflash all of those in that link? Yea the main reason I have gone for the last few phones is the camera and I know the camera is nowhere near as good on AOSP ROMs at the moment so staying clear.

With regards to the kernel question though. Is that purely so you can change clock speeds etc? Is it alwars worth flashing a custom kernel or will it make no real difference for the less experienced user?

Upvote 0
Aye, just flash all then factory reset.

That's one of the features of a custom kernel, but the kernel also controls memory management, CPU governor (how the SoC reacts to situations/assigns CPU load) and various other hardware functions.

A decent kernel can make a huge difference to battery life and performance even without messing with clock speeds.

Fwiw, I was getting random reboots with the latest Genysis, my phone locked and was getting too hot even under light/no load. I flashed the Imperium kernel this morning and my phone seems to be acting normally again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only been testing for a few hours, but this is ace: http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/development/rom-resurrection-remix-5-6-0-lg-g4-t3287313

The camera seems almost on a par with the LG Camera (it certainly takes pictures as quickly) and the rest of the ROM is pretty good.

My only beef so far is DPI, everything is tiny and my eyes are shite! :(

You can change it, but it breaks swiftkey.

I'll have a proper play tomorrow and see if I can fix it.

Reactions: SavageRobot
Upvote 0
Resurrection Remix! I remember these guys from my Samsung S2 days. I quite like the smaller DPI anyway. I might have a look at that, I'll stick with this Genisys for now but will probably want to flash something else in the next week or so so will look into it.
I've seen various places that the custom kernels are causing problems with some people saying things like "system time is wrong" or something with Whatsapp and couple other things, merely cosmetic I think but it will no doubt drive that little OCD demon in me mad. Is that only with stock ROMs?

Upvote 0
I've not had any issues with the time, but whatsapp does seem a little broken (seems the same on all AOSP ROMs). I can send ok, but messages sometimes take an age to get through to me, although it's been ok today.

If I'm at home, I just sign in to whatsapp web and they come through straight away.

Battery is definitely much better than it was with Genysis and I've found that stuff I've found in the CM theme engine, is much better than anything I could come up with in Xposed.

It sorta lags a little if you don't reboot daily, but that's my only real gripe, after the DPI thing).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I've just finished flashing RR too now. Seems OK, battery is zapped after it though as it didn't take at all after first flash and many resets, so will have a proper play tomorrow. WhatsApp seems to be working too. One thing I didn't consider though is that I not long ago got a new quick circle case and this obviously doesn't have that function so that's a waste. Looks like lots of customisation options so will have a play around and see what I can do, I almost forgot how much I missed resurrection remix.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks I'll have a go at that. Is http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/themes-apps/app-lg-qcircleview-aosp-t3043744 the app you were talking about with the quick circle? If so doesn't seem to work, crashes and says SELinux needs to be set to permissive but then I look in about phone and it says it is :/
My TB did stay on a few apps for a good 5 mins each and I though it crashed but it restored them in the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones