1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Go from MidnightROM to SRF1.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pstoric, Aug 31, 2011.

1. pstoric

pstoric Newbie

I have my phone rooted and have been running midnightROM 5.3 for quite some time now but I would like to try something new. To intall SRF 1.2 can I simply flash that over my current ROM? Would I have to wipe the data before I do so? And the fully loaded zip is only 7mb, does that sound right? Maybe someone who has done this before can get back to me.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast

I have never seen the Fully Loaded SRF 1.2, only the standard version. With that being said, the standard version is 129 MB, so you may have only the Touch Whiz add-on. This would have the launcher, widgets, etc included from Samsung.

You can always try simply flashing the ROM over the top of Midnight. If you start running into issues, do the data wipe and reflash. AND, if you are still having issues, you may have to ODIN back to stock.

But, I would strongly encourage you to follow the directions provided by the thread you got the file from. Also, enable journaling to prevent the FC issues many have had on the SRF ROM's.

3. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast

Like icecold said, follow the directions here.

You shouldn't have a problem flashing, remember that with SRF 1.2, you need to download a kernel, I recommend Genocide 2.0.

4. icecold

Being that the Midnight ROM uses the Bonsai kernel, I'm not sure if that would be compatiable with SRF or not... Flashing a ROM shouldn't over-write the kernel, correct?

But assuming he will need a kernel, Genocide 2.0 is a good choice. Twilight Zone Kernel 1.1.1 is another choice, being that no two phones are exactly alike...

5. pstoric

pstoric Newbie

It worked without me flashing another kernal but my when I tried opening up most applications it kept telling me my phone is not rooted so I went back to midnightROM .53

6. icecold

Here is the link to SRF 1.2

[ROM][ACS]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2

Did you flash CWM 3.1.0.1? That was one thing I forgot you about when you went to change ROM's... Also, your best bet would to be x3 wipe as well.

7. pstoric

pstoric Newbie

I was using the purple version of CWM which I believe was the latest but not sure why my phone was telling me that my phone was not rooted. Also I noticed it was a bit slower than usual. That can be because I did not flasha kernal and it was still using the bonsai kernal. Not sure but I am back to midnight ROM 5.3 for a bit....

Samsung Epic 4G Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G release date was September 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

September 2010
Release Date
Reviews