1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Go Launcher EX and Custom Icons.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JaSauders, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    To my surprise, when I searched the forum for this all I found were entries regarding Launcher Pro.

Well, I'm not using Launcher Pro, and I'm curious about installing icon themes. I found a huge thread on XDA forums but that too was for Launcher Pro.

What's out there for Go Launcher EX users? Can I install custom icon themes?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can use any icon you want. Save it as an image in your phone/sd card. On the app you want on the homescreen, long press it and select replace, then select custom icon.

But if you want to include the app drawer...then I have no idea. :)

3. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I notice when I save an "transparent" icon through my browser, it never saves the clear background. But when I move a transparent icon from my PC to my phone via dropbox, it saves the clear background. I like icons with no backgrounds. I use Boat browser, do other browsers treat image downloads the same?

4. JaSauders

None

Aug 2, 2011
    Yeah... I was curious about doing it globally across the entire phone, as that seems to be how these other guides for Launcher Pro I was reading seem to do.

@ tcat - I'm not sure, as I do most of the downloading of images through my laptop and just bluetooth them to my phone. I've never had an issue doing that, though. It's handy using my laptop because since I run Ubuntu and I have a ton of icon themes installed, I have a whole entire slew of available icons to utilize on my phone. For example, I have folders set up in my dock. One of them is for work related things. Email, Docs, Evernote, Calendar, etc... and my icon for that I used from Libre Office on my Ubuntu laptop.

That said, it began to make me more curious about globally changing entire icon themes. Problem is, I just had NO idea how to do it. :(

5. claus1953

claus1953 Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    In fact there are themes (lots of) also for Go Launcher, which change dock icons,dock background and also icons of the apps in the drawer. The downside of those is that the icons included cover most of the standard apps but few of the more special ones, due to that those are not so much used. You can also make your own GLE themes, there are tutorials and easy to do.

6. JaSauders

None

Aug 2, 2011
    Yeah. Just prior to you replying I got a notification more Go themes are available. After some searching I began to notice themes like "Black Glass" that changed a lot of the common icons. For those it didn't change, it looked like it placed the existing icon on top of its square with rounded edges black glossy template which makes them all appear new even if some weren't new.

Is the Market the best place for something like this? Or is there a more pin pointed site just for custom launcher themes?

7. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I'm curious, when you download (and install) a new GO theme, do all you backgrounds and icon locations remain as is? And if you have Auto App organizer icons in your dock, do the GO ones "take over" or do they just replace any previous GO icons?

8. claus1953

None

May 11, 2011
    Most of the themes are on the market, the most complete ones are for pay as they include more icons, backgrounds and docks. You can also check the Go Team site, where you find a lot of stuff as well as the newest betas before they get posted in the market.

9. JaSauders

None

Aug 2, 2011
    I have "Folders" in my dock, which is kind of like Smart Shortcuts in the sense that you can set up 1 icon to house a sub menu with many more icons. When I choose a new theme, it resets everything to that theme's parameters. Background image, app drawer background image, icons, etc.

Each time I choose a theme, I do have to re-set my custom icons for my "Folder" icons in my dock, as I have a few specific icons I really liked from an Ubuntu theme.

I'll have to take a shot with one of the pay themes. Black Glass was nice, but the font was a little weird in the app drawer at the top where it says running, recent, etc. It had 2 words per button, yet one word on each button was almost unreadable. It's hard to explain, but it had an "incomplete" feeling to it. Other than that, solid theme. However I'm back on the default theme already... imagine that? I'll try out some others and see where I end up, though.

10. claus1953

None

May 11, 2011
    I can only answer partly because i don't use Auto App Organizer. Some themes change even the wallpaper and the dock background and many app icons. It may vary depending of the theme, but i think they replace the previous Go icons.

11. claus1953

None

May 11, 2011
    I do not use folders in my dock, as i set up the drawer with 6 folders where i have all my apps categorized, so i get fast to any app i need, moreover i hid all apps and widgets i never use (samsung bloatware and apps you do not need to open like antivirus, LBE security, superuser etc). In the dock ( i am using 3 docks) i have the most used apps on the side docks and the usual (dialer+contacts, camera, drawer, sms and mail) on the central dock.

12. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Probably not worth messing with. It's too easy to find icons and replace existing ones. I was thinking that even if you did a GO "backup", then installed a new theme to get the icons, then hit GO "restore", you'd probably lose all the new icons anyway. All the dock icons below are Auto App Organizer folders. I'm pretty happy creating my own "themes":
    [​IMG]