1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GO Launcher Lag

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GrenW, Feb 21, 2012.

1. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

Anyone elase getting a lot of lag when using GO Launcher on their Nexus? Specifically when moving between screens and into and out of the app drawer.

I've had to go back to the stock launcher because GO was making the phone slower than my old Desire was running GO Launcher. Pity because I especially liked the wrap around tray

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Not me. It's working just fine.

3. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

Hmmm....did you tweak anything specifically? I've got almost identical widgets on each and the same number of screens. Did you re-size your widgets? Do you run a 5x5 matrix screen? Any specific transitions?

4. pool_shark

I don't have many widgets, just power control, calendar, and fancy widgets pro weather.
    I did make sure to remove all widgets from the screens on the default launcher, and I turned off animations in settings.

5. idic

idic Well-Known Member

Try Nova Launcher for this any many other great features whilst maintaining the ICS look and feel - since it is based on exactly the same code.

HolyGhostClaw likes this.
  6. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Android Expert

Are you running widgets on both Go Launcher and the stock launcher simultaneously? Clear your stock launcher and see if it makes a difference. If they're both populated, you're essentially duplicating widgets.

7. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

Yep, clean standard launcher. Learned this was the best thing to do before I wiped Sense off my Desire. There was a big update on GO ready this morning so I may give it another try.

I've also downloaded Nova and Apex to see if either of those suits. Got a long boring flight coming up later today that gives me the ideal opportunity to tweak.

The thing I'm trying to get away from most is the totally wasted screen. With the combination of the search bar and the soft keys you may as well not have a big screen - I've effectively got use of a screen the size of my Desire's in the middle of the actual screen. Only a 4x4 grid is criminal on the Nexus.

8. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

I use Nova since I love stock ICS (they even enabled the "card" effect when switching between home screens, just like the app drawer).
    One other thing to look at is in Settings, go to Developer Settings and make sure Force GPU Rendering is checked off. It helps a bit on home screen and scrolling lag.

9. pool_shark

What does "ics look and feel" mean?
    There is a dock bar, long press menu, and widgets. You have with other launchers as well, you can resize widgets, you have wallpapers, and you can change the icons.
    So I really don't understand why people keep talking about the look and feel.

10. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

Trying out Nova now. Liking it so far. Gives me the speed of the stock launcher with most of the tweaks of GO.

Only thing now is to find a replacement for GO calendar widget. Love the fact that it's both grid and agenda at the touch of a button with nice animation and an ics theme. Using Pure Calendar Widget in its place

11. andydg

andydg Newbie

Mine has been running great, very smooth and I haven't messed with any settings.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews