1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Go-Riller Glass Trivia NO FAIR Googling!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OcalaFlGuy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy Android Expert
    None

Made especially for the Iphonie, right?

Well, not quite. it's actually about 45 years old. A past idea shelved
    by Corning, resurrected by the request from Steve Jobs.

There is one place you as a consumer (Ok, a clue; maybe as more of a sports fan) may have seen it when Corning original made it, any idea where that was?

:thinking:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Advertisement

2. ninjasinabag

ninjasinabag Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2012
    Male
    you name it
    philadelphia, PA
    Don't know much about origins, ask DC origin stories blow. ;) I do know a couple of facts pertaining to the motion and its glass covering . Like that there is no focal point for shatter with gorrila glass, the glass can take almost 45 pounds of pressure before cracking (can't say the same for the touch recognition sheet)

3. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    South Florida
    Was 1st used in race cars
    Didnt use google
    used Wikipedia

4. OcalaFlGuy

None

Here, from Wickedpedia, is my answer. Chemcor was the original Corning name for Gorilla Glass.

Also in 1968, Chrysler made approximately 50 fastback Barracudas equipped with the 426 cu in (7.0 L) Hemi for Super Stock drag racing.[3] These cars were assembled by Hurst Performance and featured items such as lightweight Chemcor side glass, fiberglass front fenders, and hood with scoop, lightweight seats, and sound deadener and other street equipment such as rear seats omitted. An included sticker indicated that the car was not for use on public roads; it could run the quarter-mile in the mid-10s in 1968.[3]

Way to go Gman!

Bruce in Ocala, FL

5. PHP87

PHP87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 30, 2012
    Male
    A Burger King bathroom...
    I would say the glass at Hockey arenas and the glass for the broadcast booths at baseball stadiums.

6. OcalaFlGuy

None

Prior to the past year all hockey arenas used tempered glass. Real glass. But that's heavy and will still shatter. It's also hard without much give to it and is prone to injure players slammed into it.

Now they all have Plexi-glass in them. PG is acrylic which I guess puts it in the same family as GG. PG however is much softer, has way more give but also scratches much worse. You have to be very careful cleaning PG just not to scratch it from the cleaning.

I'm sure the Baseball glass is Plexi-glass too, again, not the same as GG. Even tempered glass would be no match for a fastball.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Tags: