1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

GOD HELP! Cannot change default pic viewer in messaging

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by andxandx, May 4, 2016.

1. andxandx

andxandx Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    How in GODS NAME do you change the default pic viewer in Messaging? I'm using a Verizon Droid Maxx 2, Lollipop.

I made the sorry ass mistake of pressing 'always' use this app. I don't even remember which one I picked.

Anyhow, I go to Messaging (in Apps) and click on 'CLEAR DEFAULTS'. Then I go back to Messaging and it still opens using the same stupid pic viewer that shows a tiny picture (no animated gifs, etc). I've killed the Messaging app several times, rebooted, etc and nothing!

Advertisement

2. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy

Mar 10, 2012
    Male
    Computer Tech.
    Colorado Springs,CO.
    Clear cache and data for the messaging app.

3. andxandx

andxandx Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    Oh figured it out. You're supposed to go to the app that opens the file (not the Messaging app)!?! But if you don't know which one it is? Talk about stupid: yet another dumbass android annoyance. And since we're on the subject of android annoyances, when are they going to fix the goddamn file date/time stamp issue so our sync tools can work again!? Oh wait, that's a feature now, not a bug!

#3 andxandx, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. andxandx

andxandx Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    So now it's "clear defaults" aaaanddd "clear catch" too??? Jeez. They can never stop changing how to do things. What next, a reboot? I actually stayed on Droid Bionic until late last year because of all the f'd up changes in lollipop and prior.

5. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy

Mar 10, 2012
    Male
    Computer Tech.
    Colorado Springs,CO.
    It up to you if you want to clear cache and data for that app now you figured out your issue.

6. andxandx

andxandx Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    In the end, no one really knows how this is supposed to work. Some examples are to go to the host app (in this case, Messaging) and clear defaults, but then other examples they say to go to the guest app (in this case it was ES File Explorer). Here's an example:

http://androidforums.com/threads/cant-change-default-image-viewer.547992/

Note: I didn't 'clear defaults' within ES File Explorer. I went to Settings->Apps->All->ES File Explorer->CLEAR DEFAULTS. Then it worked? Obviously this is not well thought out if this is how it's supposed to work.

This is how Android is, there's never really a clear way how to do anything. There is no documentation. It's essentially perpetual beta, which I'm sick and tired of. They're always screwing around with things, breaking what's fixed, and to make matters worse, they remove essential tools like the File Explorer! Someone send a message to Larry Page and Sergey Brin and tell them they have their heads up their asses.

#6 andxandx, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016