• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Socrats

Feb 11, 2011
Theist state that god cannot be explained, that god is beyond time and space , and that god has always been here since before time and always will be.f But nothing could have existed before time. So if god created time and space, who created god? And what was before time? I think that if god does exist he or it is not anything supernatural but just matter since matter is energy and energy can be created nor destroyed. So in that essence since im an agnostic and until god is proven im siding with science because science has a theory that works. Science states states the big bang created our universe which created, time and space. Theist argue what created the big bang? But alas! There is proof that energy or matter can appear out of no where and create something, or so steven hawking state's so if his theory is true then before time and space there was nothing. But matter and energy created the big bang which created the universe which would later give life to humans. I like to think that since matter cant be created nor anti matter, those two coming together would create an explosion of some sort. Maybe enough anti matter and positive matter and you have an explosion so complex that it creates the big bang . Science is on the verge of disproving god, and theist are to blind to see it.Who made god? Man .All opinions are welcome.

:::MOD EDIT:::
Please read post #35 before replying.

The idea behind God is no less of a challenge to grasp as the fact that the universe is infinit. How could God have been around forever? I don't know, how could the universe never end? I can't wrap my head around either of those two concepts. But as hard as it is to imagine space going on and on and on forever, it's just as hard to think that it ends somewhere. Because at the edge of where it ends... what's beyond that?

There are many things out there that our minds just can't grasp. How could the universe have been created from something smaller than the head of a needle? You're telling me you can fathom how that is possible? How could there be a beginning to the Universe? What was here ten minutes before the big bang created everything? It's just as hard to imagine that there was a beginning as it is hard to imagine the universe being around forever. How could it have just always been here?

Could there be an end? How could there be? We have all this stuff, all these galaxies floating around... how could they possibly just disappear one day? It's all just too much to comprehend. But science proving God doesn't exist? How could they ever prove he doesn't exist? He can't be disproven any more than he can be proven. He is a faith, a belief. Even if you could disprove him, why would you want to do that? Just to be an asshole and rip away from all those people who take comfort in knowing that when they die they'll go to a better place that notion to replace it with what exactly? "Sorry kid, you're shit outa luck. When you die that's it, you'll never get to see your grandma, or your dog, or your best friend or twin sister again. They're gone, just deal with it".

Yeah, that's a great thing to run out and prove.

Upvote 0
It's impossible for science to prove or disprove god. By definition, god is a supernatural being. How do you even test that in a laboratory setting? Even if we somehow created a test in the lab to test for god and the test found nothing it wouldn't prove anything because a supernatural being wouldn't be bound by our natural laws in the first place.

Upvote 0
Even if we somehow created a test in the lab to test for god and the test found nothing it wouldn't prove anything because a supernatural being wouldn't be bound by our natural laws in the first place.

They're "our laws" in the sense that we can detect (some of) them in science. The trick is to not invent a law, call it ours and then have it blown out of the water somewhere down the road of scientific inquiry.

I agree that this Supreme Being wouldn't be bound by anything, let alone the laws brought about in that being's own creation.

Scientists came around a long time ago to the notion that the laws we see and discover now are of this universe, which may or may not be (or have been, or will be) all there is.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yea that was poorly worded on my part. I also probably should have said cosmologists/astronomers instead of scientists.

My bad - was not trying to be a science-discipline nazi - I was more addressing the idea of parallel universes and also M theory, and the cosmologist part just came from my fingers.

Solipsism lives.

Tried that theory on my ex-wife. Talk about independent universes!

Upvote 0
It's impossible for science to prove or disprove god. By definition, god is a supernatural being. How do you even test that in a laboratory setting? Even if we somehow created a test in the lab to test for god and the test found nothing it wouldn't prove anything because a supernatural being wouldn't be bound by our natural laws in the first place.

You know the age old query: can God create a rock so big, that he himself cannot move it? I would follow the endless circle, but you likely know how that goes.

I say YES. Yes he can create a rock so big that he himself cannot move it. Man builds structures so big that the crew themselves cannot move it/them so it is not a stretch because God made man in his own image or some such.

The reason God cannot move the big, old rock is simple: he is not omnipotent. He simply has powers that are so far above/beyond mere mortal man's abilities to understand, they they seem endless. He has limits, indeed.

And that's that.

Bob

Upvote 0
To those Christians that believe in evolution.
1300231029193.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones